Ubglub

Hunter leveling BiS weapons

When leveling a hunter, what are the best weapons to grab as im grinding up in the ranks, and are are there any other must have pieces of gear that i dont know about? im still stuck with a crappy bow and cant find anything new,  pls help me out friends.

When leveling a hunter, one should spec Beastmastery - one of the mainpoints of this is that the pet is not gear dependant. This means, if you're speccing correctly, gear doesnt really matter - maybe apart from a ranged weapon. So if you change bows/guns/xbows every 10-15 levels, you will be more than fine as your pet does the majority of the work anyways.

I'll just leave some common leveling weapons that I usually go for (hordefocused):

Orcish Battle Bow (Quest)

into

Venomstrike (Lord Serpentis, WC)

or

Bow of Plunder (Quest)

into

Master Hunter's Bow (Quest)

into

Highland Bow (Quest)

into

Farmer Dalson's Shotgun

into

Gorewood Bow (Quest, if you can find the groups necessary)

or

some random AH weapon like Gryphonwing Long Bow

You can also always pick up the PvP rewards - they're usually good alternatives. After the last weapons mentioned, it's time to run dungeons for your preraid BiS weapons (LBRS for Blackcrow usually).

Note, that, while the attackspeed doesn't really matter while leveling, you want the slowest weapons possible for raids, which is why crossbows are generally considered superior to bows or guns in that context.

Another note, I only mentioned hordesite - my knowledge of alliance quests is very limited. Also, I tried to not include dungeondrops, because those are never guaranteed and I usually just skip dungeons.

I made an alliance hunter few days ago just to have some fun, but I have no experience playing ally whatsoever. 
I would be really glad if someone could make a simple guide of BiS weapons similar to Poly'S for horde :)

In some levels you'll either have to melee, or buy a BOE to shoot something decent. You should melee anyway though, as much as you can, to avoid ammo bills. While you could shoot cheaper bullets, meleeing with decent weapons makes more sense. As BM spec, your pet will do the majority of your damage, so shooting isn't important. After 40, go for savage strikes. You don't need anything in marks pre 60, and aimed shot will just make it harder for your pet to keep aggro.

On 5/15/2017 at 11:57 AM, Shaze said:

I made an alliance hunter few days ago just to have some fun, but I have no experience playing ally whatsoever. 
I would be really glad if someone could make a simple guide of BiS weapons similar to Poly'S for horde :)

I dunno about absolute BiS, but the weapons I picked up along the way were:

• Hornwood Recurve Bow (3)
      Just a vendor bow from the starting area. Good to get you on your feet.
  • Laminated Recurve Bow (11)
      Really freakin' good vendor bow. Cheap and hit nice and hard up 'til Wailing Caverns.
  • Venomstrike (19)
      This is a godlike bow and absolutely recommended for any hunter at 19+. It procs all the time, as you can see in my dungeon vids.
  • Master Hunter's Bow (36)
      It's no Venomstrike, but it'll last you a while. I got it at the mid-30s for some reason back on Nost 1.0, but you can get it lower, I think.
  • Verdant Keeper's Aim (45)
      Maraudon quest bow for slaying the final boss. It has a proc like Venomstrike's, but it's not quite as good for its level range.
  • Bloodseeker (51)
      Alterac Valley quest and pre-raid BiS, unless you can get Blackcrow or Carapace Spine Crossbow.

Hope that helps. :D

10 hours ago, Drain said:

You don't need anything in marks pre 60, and aimed shot will just make it harder for your pet to keep aggro.

A BM pet will deal a lot more damage than a non-BM pet. Aimed Shot hits hard, sure, but not hard enough to take aggro off a BM pet while leveling. It barely ever lost aggro against me at 60, even with blues and a couple of epics! So, contrary to what Drain said, OP, I would indeed recommend going Marksman for the rest of your points. You'll have Aimed Shot at level 51, assuming you put 31 points in Beast Mastery. Just keep your Growl up to date, consider liberal use of Intimidation, and if you're still having trouble, do your Aimed Shot later than usual.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks Raziya, I will probably have to find something between Venomstrike and STV bow, too big of a gap for me :)

On 5/17/2017 at 1:02 PM, Shaze said:

Thanks Raziya, I will probably have to find something between Venomstrike and STV bow, too big of a gap for me :)

You're welcome! A popular one between those two levels is, uhh... I think it's called Crystalpine Stinger. BoE blue, so if you're making bank, it could be affordable.

Also if you're leveling an alt hunter or have a high level friend, attach a sniper scope to your ranged weapon for essentially non-stop grinding possibilities.

Seriously, just getting a decent bow every 10 levels from the AH, quest, dungeon will do just fine, as long as you got BM. 

On 5/23/2017 at 11:22 AM, Raziya said:

You're welcome! A popular one between those two levels is, uhh... I think it's called Crystalpine Stinger. BoE blue, so if you're making bank, it could be affordable.

Crystalpine Stinger is this the one?

Edited by HudsonHawk
Fixed link

11 hours ago, HudsonHawk said:

Crystalpine Stinger is this the one?

Yep.

My friend's leveling as MM / Surv for lulz and decided to pick that up. He's not really decked out in agility gear, but his Aimed Shot still crit for over 500 with it at minimum level. Pretty cool.

If you want to take it a step further, two Cruel Barbs with +15 agility on them could last until level 60 (for dealing ranged damage, at least), so they're quite a worthy investment. For perspective on how powerful those are... they offer a total of +84 attack power and, at level 60, .57% crit. Below 60, the +15 agil x2 will give significantly more crit. A popular and easy to acquire near-BiS MM DW combination at 60 is Warblade of the Hakkari MH and Fang of the Faceless. With +15 agil on each, their total AP comes out to 116, and crit chance, 2.57%. Cruel Barbs with +15 agil x2, while leveling, actually compare. Pretty nuts, huh?

+15 agil is expensive and picking up two Cruel Barbs will probably take a few runs, so... I say this more as a point of interest rather than actually suggesting you go ahead and go through all that trouble, unless of course your intent is to go all out. :) My friend's an avid AH player and can actually afford it at his low level, but it's more plausible if your hunter is an alt.

The Crystalpine Stinger, on the other hand, shouldn't be too expensive at all. A Sniper Scope is also much easier to acquire than Weapon - Agility x2.

Hope that helps. Have fun! ^^

2 hours ago, Oakenlix said:

Nobody mentioned raptor's end? A nice bow from Wetlands, availiable at around lvl 25. 

Yup, good bow and easy to get.  Alliance only, though.