Phyery

Clicking

I'm a hunter clicker ... there, I've said it!  In fact, I can't think of any role in any game where I wasn't a clicker.  I think the closest I came to key binding was as a mage in Rift.  We're all different players with different abilities and different eye-hand muscle memories.  For me, clicking requires little thought; while key binding often has me having to remind myself what #1 vs #2 was for.  Every time I've tried to be dependent on a 'short hand' like key binding or macros or scripted rotations, I find myself losing my place or forgetting something and then wasting precious milliseconds trying to get back on track or starting over.  Someone calculated that in the course of a 5-minute raid encounter, that clicking might cost as many as 12 wasted casts.  Are 12 missed casts the difference between success and failure in a raid boss encounter?

As a hunter, your primary focus will be utility. In terms of damage, burst is your strongest point, so you'll need to perform combos with Aimed Shot, Auto Shot, and Multi-Shot to quickly take out stuff like Chromatic Drakonids on Nefarian or tentacles on C'thun.

With something like Chromatic Drakonids or tentacles, the melee usually have those covered. If your guild splits casters and melee, you might make more of a difference with more responsiveness on the caster side.

On a mechanic like Pack on the tank on Anub'rekhan, a moment's notice can make the difference between wipe and success.

Keybindings aren't easy to get used to, especially if you're a habitual clicker, but my best advice is to start out with simple binds for the necessities. You should get to the point where hitting those keybinds is absolutely automatic; commit the binds to muscle memory. Then, you won't have to worry about remembering X or Y at all.

Hope that helps.

The biggest and best thing that you can possibly do when switching from clicking to button mashing is to formulate a COMMON keybind muscle memory "language" that you'll use for all of your characters.  Put the same "kinds" of spells into the same hotbar slots on every character, so that you don't have to "relearn" where everything is and everything goes on each and every character you play.

If you're playing only ONE character, that makes your job of doing this easier.
If you're playing EIGHT characters in parallel for a single faction, you need to keep in mind the "constraints" that each class has in terms of organizing spells and hotbar slots for them.

There's also the "logistical" overhead of standardizing where you put your fingers on your keyboard and mouse, since the less movement/look down you need to do the more responsive your actions will be.

As an example of what I'm talking about, a lot of games default the character movement keys to the W-A-S-D set.  I quickly discovered that using W-A-S-D put my left hand in a bad position for being able to reach the number (1-0) and function (F1-F12) keys on my keyboard.  Using W-A-S-D I could only reach as far as the number 5 key with my index finger before needing to contort my left hand to reach any further while using the W key to keep moving forwards.  It also "crammed" my left hand too far to the left (and low) on my keyboard, rendering the reach of my pinky and ring fingers on my left hand relatively useless, while at the same time leaving too many keys to the right beyond easy reach.

To put it mildly, using W-A-S-D for movement was decidedly substandard for me, particularly since I use an Apple Keyboard.

MB110LL?wid=1200&hei=630&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95

So my solution to the problem of better hand placement for movement control was to change the W-A-S-D mapping to instead be W-E-R-D ... which essentially "flipped" which keys to press (most of the time) to be at the top (WER) rather than underneath (ASD) so as to keep the fingers of my left hand in a more "natural" relaxed curl above the keyboard.  It also moved my left hand "1 key to the right" such that now I can stretch to reach the number 6 and F5 keys with my left index finger easily instead of being limited only being able to reach the number 5 and F4 keys easily with my left index finger.  The shift to W-E-R-D also opened up the Q-A combination for use as either Throttle Up/Throttle Down in games that use movement throttles, or use as Autorun/Run/Walk toggling in ground based games like World of Warcraft.  The ~/` key in the top left is my go-to programmed target selection bind for things like Target Nearest Enemy and I do a pinky finger stretch to reach it and the ESC key in the top left of the keyboard.

I use E for Forward and D for backwards movement, while W and R and the left/right Strafing movement controls.  Turning is done by use of mouse mainly, with Shift+W and Shift+R as the keyboard backups for turning if I don't have my right hand on my mouse.

When resting my left hand on my keyboard, on the Apple Keyboard (as on many computer keyboards) there is a raised "bump" on the F key to give you tactile feedback to know that your index finger of your left hand is on the correct key (so you can type without looking at your hands with confidence).  When I'm playing any MMORPG, my left hand will (now) just naturally come to rest on the W (ring finger), E (middle finger), F (index finger) keys (my pinky finger "hovers" in the air not touching anything or rests on the A key) and with my thumb on the spacebar.  The raised bump on the F key under my index finger then gives me the necessary location/positioning feedback for the placement of my left hand on the keyboard ... and then everything after that is just muscle memory.

After that, it's just a matter of setting up my hotbars (ALL OF THEM) to be bound to combinations of 1 through = and F1 through F12 and then repeating that for Shift+ and Control+ combos to be able to make use of all *60* hotbar slots and have them map to my keybinds.  A substantial number of those keybinds are ones that I wind up not using from the keyboard (for various reasons) and I'll commonly click those instead (things like Eagle Eye or Feed Pet and so on) but I've got them all mapped to my keyboard "just in case" and then it's just a matter of learning the muscle memory movements to reach that particular bind.

It can be a project of an afternoon to set all of this up, and if you change the "natural" hand position you're using on your keyboard like I have (from WASD to WERD) then there will be a period of about a week or so where you'll basically be "retraining" your muscle memory reflexes to interface properly with the new control schema, but eventually you'll adapt to it and it'll just become second nature.

I'd wager that you'll also end up enjoying the game more if your spells are bound to keys. It feels like you're more involved with the environment of your character since you're reacting to it by an extension of your person. Clicking is somewhat pedestrian. Although maybe that's just me. 

As far as speed and efficiency goes though think of it like this... the moment you begin to move your cursor towards a spell icon that you want to click is also the moment you would have pressed the key, so the spell would already be done or on the way.

I can also recommend keybind spells. It can make the difference in situations where it is required to act correctly in 1-2sec. The normal human reaction time is ~0,3sec, if your tired cause it's the third try on the last boss after hours of raiding, then the reaction time is >1sec. If you use the clicking way, it's maybe too late. Your missing 12 casts aren't the problem at all ;) 

Myself, i use the keys RDFG for walk, and 17 other keys (inclusive 6 on mouse and ctrl combos) for bindings, all around these walk-keys. And as mentioned, if there are more chars, use similar spells on the same key on every char (i.e. CC skills, heal/selfheal etc.).

So far

When I first made the jump from clicking to bindings I only used simple binds and gradually progressed. I started out with 1 through 5 and then went on to shift + 1-5 and ctrl + 1-5. Haven't missed clinking once since making the jump. It's going to take your game to the next level, especially in PvP where I believe bindings are a necessity.

5 hours ago, Zazabi said:

When I first made the jump from clicking to bindings I only used simple binds and gradually progressed. I started out with 1 through 5 and then went on to shift + 1-5 and ctrl + 1-5. Haven't missed clinking once since making the jump. It's going to take your game to the next level, especially in PvP where I believe bindings are a necessity.

This. I don't use ctrl+ bindings, myself, only shift. Instead, I spread my keybinds to plenty of other letters, like Q, E, Z, X, C, etc.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:50 AM, Raziya said:

This. I don't use ctrl+ bindings, myself, only shift. Instead, I spread my keybinds to plenty of other letters, like Q, E, Z, X, C, etc.

What are your movement keys?

I use wasd for moment. 1,2, and 3 on the number bar and then num-pad, shift num-pad, and ctrl num-pad. though in vanilla I haven't really had enough abilities to go in the ctrl one

1 hour ago, HudsonHawk said:

What are your movement keys?

Mine or OP's? Mine are WASD, of course. I use right mouse + A / D to strafe.

On 9/15/2017 at 6:28 AM, Phyery said:

Are 12 missed casts the difference between success and failure in a raid boss encounter?

They certainly can be, yes.

If you play hunter I think you have to have binds so you can kite well.  Pretty hard to kite when you can't jump, spin, shoot, spin back around, and keep running forward.  Requires you to use the mouse to turn and if you are clicking you can't do that since you're using the mouse to click.