Matt45

Hunters and Racials

Hi,

I started playing just before BC and only a little of Wrath, didn't like how the game was going.  I am so happy the Elysium Project is almost live but I have a question for the Vanilla experts.  I am horde side player and I want to make a hunter to start out.  I know the Troll is the best MM, bow specialization, and the Orc is good for BM because of the pet racial, but what about the Survivalist?  Was the Survivalist utilized much in Raiding?  Going to roll an Orc or Troll and I am just trying to make up my mind.

If you mainly focus pve - troll best choice on horde side, nelf on ally side.

Orc:

1)Blood Fury: Increases base melee attack power by 25% for 15 sec and reduces healing effects on you by 50% for 25 sec. 2 min cooldown? -Your pet does not get any bonuses from your gear in vanilla, so this is useless + works on melee only.

2)Hardiness: Chance to resist Stun effects increased by an additional 25% - Cool racial if you going to pvp a lot.

3)Command: Damage done by Hunter and Warlock pets increased by 5% - Kinda bad, instead of 100 it would hit 105 :)

4)Axe Specialization: Skill with Axes and Two-Handed Axes increased by 5. - Useless.

Troll:

1)Berserking: Increases your casting and attack speed by 10% to 25%. At full health the speed increase is 10% with a greater effect up to 25% if you are badly hurt when you activate Berserking. Lasts 10 sec. 3 min cooldown. - Very op racial for your aimed shot.

2)Beast Slaying: Damage dealt versus Beasts increased by 5%. - There are many beast bosses, 5% dmg constantly is very useful.

3)Throwing/Bow Specialization: Skill with Throwing/Bow Weapons increased by 5 - Crappy racial, useless in pvp/late game.

4)Regeneration: Health regeneration rate increased by 10%. 10% of total Health regeneration may continue during combat. - kek.

Base stats on lvl 1:

Str     Agi     Sta     Int     Spi
Troll     21      22      21      16     21

Orc      23      17      22      17     23

BM is viable for pvp only if you going to raid srsly I wouldnt pick BM, but you still can mess around and do dungeons as bm.
Edited by Uglyaf

You will most likely be MM throughout all of the pve content. Survival might take over for personal dps after reaching a certain amount of agility, but at that point hunters are below on dps compared to other classes and its mostly about providing trueshot aura in MM spec to have greater raid dps instead of simply taking a survivalist hunter.

Some guilds even take no hunter in naxx and just bring in one or two alts on bosses where they are needed. Though most guilds dont do that amount of planning and just take 2-3 hunters, sometimes even survival specced because they only see the personal dps angle.

As for the racials... troll is the pve master race because of the haste bonus, the additional weapon skill doesnt really make a difference since there are no ranged glancing blows. It adds a tiny benefit to your hit/crit.

For pvp either orc or tauren, thats debatable and situational.

Edited by Aslan

You can raid as Survival, but guilds will insist upon Marks, which is the best build unless you're slotted into groups where the aura sees no use. It really depends on how many Hunters the guild takes, and what groups you are put in. If you're regularly slotted into groups with another Hunter (who has the aura) or casters (who don't use AP), then yes, you'd be better off with Survival. Marks is top DPS, but only when the aura is affecting a few people. If it's only affecting you, or you could just mooch the aura off another guy, then you're behind Survival in max potential.

As for race...

Troll is best RDPS. There really isn't a contest. Not only is there is Berserking and the bow skill, but the fact that Troll has more agility than any other race except Night Elf (which isn't on the Horde). It isn't a bad leveling choice either because of the free health regen and beast damage. Some raid bosses are beast btw, making Troll even better. But it isn't very many until you go into ZG, where damn near everything in sight is a beast. Maybe AQ has a ton of beasts too, but I wouldn't know.

Orc is the best BM choice, but once you ding 60, you probably won't keep the build. You definitely can't raid with it, and probably won't even use a pet in raids. The stun resist in nice in BGs, but is largely useless for raiding, as is the other racials. Orc has top STR, axe skill, and Blood Fury, making us the best at meleeing, but this doesn't mean diddly in a raid when you're shooting at everything. My main on Nost was an Orc Hunter, but don't be mistaken, I only played this race because I like it. In reality, it's probably the worst race for a Hunter to raid as. BGs aren't bad, nor is leveling if you like to melee all the time (as I did), but for shooting guns or bows; our racials are just crap. Even Stoneform would be useful on the right fights. Blood Fury literally helps me against no raid boss in the game, and in fact heal debuffs me to make the fight more dangerous.

Tauren is an odd choice for Hunter. This race has top HP, which shines most if you max the +15% STA talent, but otherwise means little. You have a bit more staying power as RDPS, but this isn't much of a factor if you already slot enough STA/MR. War Stomp is another complete moot ability in raiding, but no doubt nice to have vs mobs or players. Personally I'd suggest the other 2 races. I guess if you're a plant picker, the race is slightly more useful, but keep in mind that once you're at 300, the skill bonus doesn't matter at all. No plant in the game requires more than 300 points. It'd only be useful while leveling up, and I think the other races have better leveling racials already.

+5 bow skill is not negligible.

Taking your bow skill to 305 against a Boss is the equivalent of about 2% hit.  Anything past those first 5 skill points is pretty negligible though.

If the mob's defense skill is no more than 10 points higher than your weapon skill:
Miss Rate = 5% + (Defense Skill - Weapon Skill) * 0.1%

If the mob's defense skill is more than 10 points higher than your weapon skill:
Miss Rate = 6% + (Defense Skill - Weapon Skill - 10) * 0.4%

Do note that the second equation adds an extra 1% penalty to the base rate.  Using those formulas, we see the following miss rates:

Lvl 60 Mob = 5.0%
Lvl 61 Mob = 5.5%
Lvl 62 Mob = 6.0%
Lvl 63 Mob = 8.0%

Source: http://vanilla-wow.wikia.com/wiki/Miss  I know they use lvl 80 in the examples, but I have seen no difference in my own experience on Nost.

Practically speaking, works well in MC/BWL until you get the X-bow off Chromag.  At that point, you should have plenty of +hit gear anyway, especially if you invest into the +3 hit scope.
Edited by Drakbak

The 5 skill covers the last bit of the miss penalty between 8 and 9. The 9th % hit slot is mostly wasted, as it is in excess. The 5 skill however allows for better gearing(8hit+5skill=cap). For melee, it also removes most of the Glancing Blow penalty, because the bulk of the penalty is on the third level (63), not 61 or 62. (The same is true for spells, most of their resist penalty is on the third level up) But for ranged, there are no Glancing Blows, so you receive almost nothing for 6+.

You won't use a bow forever, but what's important is that you get one at the start. Your first T1 BIS is a bow (Hunter quest), and this is more meaningful than having the bonus at some later date. Later on down the road, you'll have purple tier pieces or other slots with +hit on it, and can probably consider getting the +hit scope as well. But I doubt a scrub raider trying to pay for Batskin or Devilsaur is also going to want an incredibly overprice scope. But fyi, if you're Horde, you can slot this nice little toy.

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=19120

Always an easy way to get that last 1% if you need it. Alliance has no comparable version. There's no real sacrifice for using this because our DM trinket is фекал to begin with, and we already don't use a HOJ. There's nothing good to put on that 2nd slot after a Blackhand.

Edited by Drain

I gonna stick with Orc again...mainly reason because of looks...

Altho i love Tauren much, cba watching on this Pixel Hair...same goes with Troll, i love animation of female troll, but man, that fcking TOES!, can't cover with nice mail boots...meeh

And since i love PvP too, 25% stun resist is critical for me

I was also Orc, even though our race is junk for raiding. I like swinging my reaper whenever I'm not in a raid though. Probably the only Hunter on Nost with an Arcanite Reaper. Sadly, the Spinal Reaper never dropped in my MC runs. I would have settled for that giant sword out of ZG, but I never won it. Actually lost the roll on that one a few times. It's basically a bigger Arcanite Reaper, but switches to sword.

Dwarf is the way to go. The gun skill, bleed removal and tresure hunting(!!!) Is the best there is!

Gun skill is of limited use at 60. AQ gun is not as good as xbow from Chromag, and Naxx drops xbows as well.

Gun skill is of limited use at 60. AQ gun is not as good as xbow from Chromag, and Naxx drops xbows as well.

Well, treasure Trumpz any way! :)

Gun is okey up to bwl!

Gunna go night elf so i can shadowmeld ambush people with aimed shot haha lol

It gets even better if you use a cat, which can also stealth. But the Stoneform is fantastic vs Warriors/Rogues/Hunters, and can even remove Devouring Plague (disease), so Alliance Hunters can't go wrong regardless.

Hi,

I started playing just before BC and only a little of Wrath, didn't like how the game was going.  I am so happy the Elysium Project is almost live but I have a question for the Vanilla experts.  I am horde side player and I want to make a hunter to start out.  I know the Troll is the best MM, bow specialization, and the Orc is good for BM because of the pet racial, but what about the Survivalist?  Was the Survivalist utilized much in Raiding?  Going to roll an Orc or Troll and I am just trying to make up my mind.

Tauren for Survivalist cz of +5%Hp.

Changed my mind,  im going to go female dwarf

was messing around on some insta 60 servers and female dwarf ranged animations are actually really good,  also females run a lot better than males, the male run animation they look like they are waddling around lol

also I fugre if i ever get tired of looking at female dwarf i can just use a savory delight   :)

edit:  also female dwarf actually looks good in a cape so i might not have to hide cape enymore

+Best tits animations