25toten

Lupos Taming Guide - (Elysium Only)

Had a lot of trouble finding information on Lupos, so I spent two hours gathering information from a variety of players, web, forums, and as well as testing myself. Here's some up to date info on finding him, specifically for Elysium.

- Lupos currently does shadow damage. This apparently changed in Patch 1.9 (unconfirmed). 

- His shadow damage is not affected by armor (it was on Nostalrius apparently). This gives him roughly a ~35% dps boost on most normal mobs, as they typically have 30-40% physical damage reduction (casters ~10-15%). He will also rip apart mail and plate wearers in pvp (especially tanks). 

- His auto attack eats shadow weaving stacks from warlocks (bad for raids, unless no warlock present). Not sure if this is a bug or working as intended. So he's arguably the best pet in dungeons, solo content and pvp (brokentooth is an equal in pvp and better for raids w/ warlocks).

- His attacks are affected by shadow resistance (extremely rare on players and npc's, but more common on bosses). 

- 4 Spawn locations (completely random): Coords

Respawn time: Confirmed to be between 1hr 45min - 1hr 55min (based on 3 spawns). Unconfirmed if any variables are affecting this time (i.e dynamic spawning). As of today (1/13/17), he respawned 3 times 1hr 50min inbetween all 3 times. Forums from other servers report his spawn time varying from 2 - 6 hours. If you're visiting here from another server, you'll have to investigate his re-spawn time yourself. 

https://postimg.org/image/5v63cgw33/

Pink dots are the coords.

Happy Hunting!

- Knipniks (Anathema)

Edited by 25toten

That really sucks, so basically lupos is a nightmare to find now? Fluctuating timers at randomized spots?

5 hours ago, Foxmonkey said:

Is lupos worth it at all?

How much damage does he make more?

He does shadow damage instead of physical. So he scales with curse & shadow weaving, etc. Good for BWL.

Edited by Overtime

5 hours ago, 25toten said:

Had a lot of trouble finding information on Lupos, so I spent two hours gathering information from a variety of players, web, forums, and as well as testing myself. Here's some up to date info on finding him, specifically for Elysium.

- Lupos does shadow damage. This may change with Patch 1.12.2 (unconfirmed). This bit is irrelevant to us since we're on 1.12.1.

- His shadow damage is not affected by armor (it was on Nostalrius apparently).

- 4 Spawn locations (completely random): Coords

Respawn time: Confirmed to be between 1hr 45min - 1hr 55min (based on 3 spawns). Unconfirmed if any variables are affecting this time (i.e dynamic spawning), as everyone always reports different numbers. As of today, he respawned 3 times 1hr 50min inbetween all 3 times.

https://postimg.org/image/5v63cgw33/

Pink dots are the coords.

Happy Hunting!

- Knipniks

Where'd you get 3 of those coords?

6 hours ago, Proto said:

That really sucks, so basically lupos is a nightmare to find now? Fluctuating timers at randomized spots?

It's not really that bad. Two of the coords, you can see his spawn by sitting in the same spot. Once you see him tamed, or killed - set a timer for 1hr 50min and he will respawn precisely then.

6 hours ago, Foxmonkey said:

Is lupos worth it at all?

How much damage does he make more?

He has the same exact stats as a standard wolf, except he does shadow damage meaning he negates all armor. This is an insane DPS boost in PVE as most generic mobs have typically 30-40% armor. PVP it's great for the same reason. Raiding, he's situational as bosses have resistances and warlocks will be upset that he eats shadow weaving.

4 hours ago, Ironsides said:

Where'd you get 3 of those coords?

I seen him spawn at two of them 65,24 and 33,25. I got the other two coords from 3 players in game, as well as two different forum sites. So technically I can't confirm them but I'm in good faith of our community. 

12 minutes ago, Legron said:

Why not just tame Wind Serpent for magical damage? 

This is an option if you're lazy. But Lupos will outdps Serpent significantly. The serpent may be better for raids though.

On 1/16/2017 at 5:06 AM, Overtime said:

He does shadow damage instead of physical. So he scales with curse & shadow weaving, etc. Good for BWL.

This is not true in 1.12.1.  He did shadow damage for a brief period before 1.12.1, but was later patched.

Edit: Patch 1.9 he was nerfed

Edit 2: Jan 17 2006 post (Patch 1.9 was Jan 10 2006) that confirms the nerf after the patch http://wow.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=243&mid=113751528678211131

Edited by Daxiongmao87

So Lupos is just another wolf?  So which pet then?  I know Broken Tooth and ZG bats are good for BM hunters, but what should MM use if Lupos does have shadow damage?

2 hours ago, Daxiongmao87 said:

This is not true in 1.12.1.  He did shadow damage for a brief period before 1.12.1, but was later patched.

Edit 2: Jan 17 2006 post (Patch 1.9 was Jan 10 2006) that confirms the nerf after the patch http://wow.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=243&mid=113751528678211131

It's not nerfed yet on any realms so it's true. 1.9 like you said which is known.

7 hours ago, Daxiongmao87 said:

Thanks for doing some investigation. Updated the post. 

9 hours ago, Warl0ck said:

So Lupos is just another wolf?  So which pet then?  I know Broken Tooth and ZG bats are good for BM hunters, but what should MM use if Lupos does have shadow damage?

Lupos for PvE in all situations, bat/bt/boar/scorpion for pvp, depending on what you're prepping for

Sorry, but if we're on 1.12, and he was nerfed on 1.9, then why isn't he nerfed?  1.9 is before 1.12.  The numbers after the decimal represent releases not decimals.  So 1.9 is before 1.12 (1.9, 1.10, 1.11. 1.12).

1 hour ago, alexinho said:

Itemisation/Spells are not 1.12 or something

Items are progressive, spells and every other game mechanic are not.

Lupos is not an item. If its actually doing shadow damage then its a bug and you should report it.

Edited by Guybrush

3 hours ago, Guybrush said:

Items are progressive, spells and every other game mechanic are not.

Lupos is not an item. If its actually doing shadow damage then its a bug and you should report it.

So he should not have it?  Then the question is---has anyone tested it  (can somebody with him try using him on both a high armor and low armor target and report findings)?  Does he?  If he does, then he is the best choice unless they change it?  If not, then I guess another pet will be better.  Pet speeds were not normalized until BC launch I think.

Edited by Warl0ck

I have a Lupos on the nost/anethema server. Tested it against ogres in DM North and it consistantly does the about the top damage on it's character sheet; it doesn't seem to be mitigated. Crits are pretty big.

As for the new spawn cycle, I still stand by it being a total nightmare compared to the old 1 spawn system. I've never seen it tamed, only found the corpses from regular players killing it at the spawn points I'm not at. The most agonizing was watching it pop in front of me have a clueless 25 hunter kill it before I could tame. (on elysium)

Edited by Proto

Got him tonight on Darrowshire at the westernmost spawn.  I will do some testing of his damage later and report back here.

7 hours ago, Warl0ck said:

Got him tonight on Darrowshire at the westernmost spawn.  I will do some testing of his damage later and report back here.

congrats Sir.

Currently trying to get him on Elysium PvP server. Any tips on how you did it? Camp one spots 24/7 or run around between spawn points spamming /tar macro? Thank you

59 minutes ago, idoril said:

congrats Sir.

Currently trying to get him on Elysium PvP server. Any tips on how you did it? Camp one spots 24/7 or run around between spawn points spamming /tar macro? Thank you

The way I did it was to mostly camp out at the most western spawn.  I shadowmelded there but there is plenty of room up the hillside near a giant stump near the house where you can stand without stealth without aggroing mobs.  I periodically would check the other western spawn a bit to the east, but I mostly stayed at the most western spawn and did stuff on my other monitor and kept glancing over.  Trying to cover all 4 spawns might work, but I was worried he'd just spawn on the other side of the map, and some other hunter would tame him--while I had spent too much time between spawns instead of being at the spawn.  /tar isn't a bad idea, but honestly he spawned visibly in front of me---although I had checked tracking several times before he did appear.  It took me 2 nights.

I wish you the best of luck.

Got him last night at the 65, 24 spot. I ran around Duskwood checking the spots for over 5 hours before realizing I'm probably missing him while traveling. Switched to camping the right two spots and 45 minutes later got him.

10 hours ago, Darker0001 said:

Slightly off-topic, but could you make a similar post regarding Broken Tooth so we can compile any info we can for Elysium?

I've not much interest in Broken Tooth. 

On 1/20/2017 at 1:42 PM, Warl0ck said:

So he should not have it?  Then the question is---has anyone tested it  (can somebody with him try using him on both a high armor and low armor target and report findings)?  Does he?  If he does, then he is the best choice unless they change it?  If not, then I guess another pet will be better.  Pet speeds were not normalized until BC launch I think.

He does have shadow damage currently. I'm not entirely sure when the patch to nerf him occurred. Obviously before BC launch though. Someone posted above he found a nerf log in the 1.9 patch