25toten

Lupos Taming Guide - (Elysium Only)

Tamed him today (8:20 AM server time) on Zeth'kur around 65.25. Yesteray I met player who claimed, that on this patch, he spawns only on one place (33.25), but obviously he was kidding. I had problem with Tame Beast when used on Lupos - It said Invalid target, so I had to log off, delete WDB folder and log in. As combat log says, he deals shadow damage on auto attack and normal damage on bite (he cames with Bite rank 3). To fully use his potential, tame also some wolf with Furious Howl rank 2, learn it, learn it Lupos an make macro for Multishot + Furious howl since they share 10s cooldown.

There was an advice that mages can make taming easier when sheep the wolf. One mage came to help me, but he said he can't polymorph him, don't know why. Use Npcscan addon, it will alarm you, when he spawns somewhere near + target macro with Hunter's mark to find him faster. Stalk him on morning hours, when server population is low = less hunters trying to find him.

Does he wander/patrol around at all? I've been camping the eastern two spawns for a couple nights now. Should I be looking a bit north as well in case I didnt see him spawn?

2 hours ago, Hexygon said:

Does he wander/patrol around at all? I've been camping the eastern two spawns for a couple nights now. Should I be looking a bit north as well in case I didnt see him spawn?

He was standing still when I saw him

Yea he paced back and forth when I just got him 10 minutes ago!  Funny, I was just killed by Hoakey, level 42 hunter. He stood over my corpse and /shoo'd me.

Got back to my corpse and there was Lupos.

Karma.

2 hours ago, Hexygon said:

Actually, can't correctly remember that, I think he only stands. But if he patrols/moves, it's only really close to the spawn coords. Definitely no long walks.

9 hours ago, Horec said:

Tamed him today (8:20 AM server time) on Zeth'kur around 65.25. Yesteray I met player who claimed, that on this patch, he spawns only on one place (33.25), but obviously he was kidding. I had problem with Tame Beast when used on Lupos - It said Invalid target, so I had to log off, delete WDB folder and log in. As combat log says, he deals shadow damage on auto attack and normal damage on bite (he cames with Bite rank 3). To fully use his potential, tame also some wolf with Furious Howl rank 2, learn it, learn it Lupos an make macro for Multishot + Furious howl since they share 10s cooldown.

There was an advice that mages can make taming easier when sheep the wolf. One mage came to help me, but he said he can't polymorph him, don't know why. Use Npcscan addon, it will alarm you, when he spawns somewhere near + target macro with Hunter's mark to find him faster. Stalk him on morning hours, when server population is low = less hunters trying to find him.

Making a macro to pair furious howl to multi shot is completely unnecessary, and potentially wasteful.  

Party members within 15 yards receive an extra 18 to 22 damage to their next Physical attack. Lasts 10 sec. 

This is a static damage increase to any shot. There is no multiplier.  It doesn't matter which ability is buffed, it simply adds some damage. Even if you clicked other buffs that multiply your damaging abilities, like a trinket, or bestial wrath, you're still not going to increase the amount of damage you receive with furious howl.

If you do this macro and you don't use multi shot on cooldown, you are wasting your furious howl cooldown. Multi shot is an expensive shot so you're not going to be using it every chance you get.  All you have to do is set furious howl to auto-cast and stay within 15 yards of your pet.

Edited by Hexygon

Just tamed him 22:00 server time on Elysium PvP after about 10 hours of invested time.

!Attention: respawn seems to be even shorter on Elysium PvP, got a confirmed respawn at 23:10 (just 1h 10min after I got mine)!

Here is what I would recommend.

step 1: get Cartographer and add spawn locations like on the screenshot in this thread.

step 2: get NPCscan Vanilla version (link: https://github.com/shirsig/npcscan) You need to manually add Lupos by typing "/npcscan Lupos"

step 3: if possible, camp between the two eastern spots (since you can check both at once), if not pick the least crowded one. At least on Elysium there are ?? Horde hunters on 2/4 spots most of the time.

tip 1: make sure your WDB folder is deleted, it seems like tame is not properly working at times (15 sec cast is finished and then nothing happens), make sure it works before camping Lupos!

tip 2: make sure you have AT LEAST 15x meat of some sort to feed Lupos. He will be hungry af.

Bonus: 2 stories of my adventure:

First time my macro hit Lupos, I kinda panicked, abondoned my best buddy pet (boar) instantly, ran right next to Lupos and tamed him. Turns out it was an already owned pet by some level 23 hunter that was also named Lupos -_- RIP

Second time, camping between the two eastern spawns my macro hits again, all of a sudden 4 hunters pull out of shadowmeld all running towards Lupos and start taming him. 0.5 secs before finishing my cast some douchebag pulls him out of range and starts kiting him like crazy, his pet still hitting him down to 5%. Then Lupos was resetting, ran back to his original spawn, everybody chasing him like crazy and throwing mana pots because of almost being OOM. Eventually a level 47 got lucky and tamed him in front of my eyes. What a let down!

Have fun with the hunt, I think it is worth it :-) Let me know if you have any further quesitons.

Edited by idoril

Can confirm spawn timer may be longer than 1 hour 50 minutes. I had his exact spawn time and someone reported killing him about ~2 hours 21 minutes from last spawn. (Zeth'kur)

Here are a few timers I've seen so far:

Killed at 2:39pm --> reported killed at ~4:00pm (2h 21m)

Tamed at 7:54am --> reported killed at 10:06am (2h 12m)

EDIT: JUST GOT LUPOS!!!

Last kill at 10:06am ---> respawned at eastern point at exactly 11:45am (1hr 39 min)

Edited by Praag

Just was taming Lupos on Darrowshire, ally NE Spudsmee (ofc low lvl) started taming 10sec after me and he got him not me. After my tame beast ended i still had aggro and hit Lupos twice unarmed, still, Spudsmee's Tame Beast was successful which should be bug considering the description of a skill if i read it right (i have combat log screens ofc).

Ive checked my tame beast on random mobs before that and had WDB folder deleted (successfully tamed a nearby spider just after the accident).

Is this all right?

Anyway, hunter community on Darrowshire community is as bad as it can get. I still can't get why 

P.S. Lupos was hitting me with shadow dmg (ive also had partial resist of his dmg several times)

P.P.S. More to that, nobody did any legit checking on that pet +/- sunders +/- shadow debuffs, i was going to to benefit everybody, but now im not sure i'm going to share my data lol

P.P.P.S. To that Spudsmee person - thanks' ive spent only 15+ hours stalking this pet, you obv needed it more than me. During the time spent camping him i've never did anything to compromise any other hunter.

Edited by Pwnjin

4 hours ago, Pwnjin said:

Just was taming Lupos on Darrowshire, ally NE Spudsmee (ofc low lvl) started taming 10sec after me and he got him not me. After my tame beast ended i still had aggro and hit Lupos twice unarmed, still, Spudsmee's Tame Beast was successful which should be bug considering the description of a skill if i read it right (i have combat log screens ofc).

Ive checked my tame beast on random mobs before that and had WDB folder deleted (successfully tamed a nearby spider just after the accident).

Is this all right?

I have been playing Hunter on Zeth'kur since release and I can confirm I have had MANY instances where my Tame Beast "Failed", at the end of the cast nothing happens and you have to start casting again... I don't know if this is intended or some serious bug as I never played hunter on retail vanilla. I also have deleted my WDB Folder and am playing on a completely fresh install of 1.12.

If anyone else has an Idea as to why Tame Beast is "Failing" so often please respond!

P.S. Sorry to hear about the other hunter, that sucks. You will get Lupos soon, keep at it.

Just tamed Lupos (Darrowshire). My first tame beast failed again lol but now the only other hunter was camping 2 other spots, so i was alone there.

Yesterday Lupos spawned at ~65/25, today he spawned at ~33/26. I ve seen his corpses at ~15/30 and saw him get tamed at 67/25, so i can confirm the spots indicated in the OP for Darrowshire.

Will report on his dmg once i level him.

8 hours ago, Praag said:

I have been playing Hunter on Zeth'kur since release and I can confirm I have had MANY instances where my Tame Beast "Failed", at the end of the cast nothing happens and you have to start casting again... I don't know if this is intended or some serious bug as I never played hunter on retail vanilla. I also have deleted my WDB Folder and am playing on a completely fresh install of 1.12.

If anyone else has an Idea as to why Tame Beast is "Failing" so often please respond!

Having a Beast Tame "Fail" is functionally the the same as throwing a spell at a hostile mob and seeing "Resisted" come up.

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?spell=13481

Notice the School: Nature notation in that.  You're basically casting a Nature Spell in order to Tame Beast.  Nature Spells can be Resisted (ask any Balance Druid you can find).

Edited by Roxanne Flowers
pytos

14 hours ago, Pwnjin said:

Will report on his dmg once i level him.

How do you plan on leveling him? I am trying to level my Lupos now and its painfully slow, I cant kill lvl 40 mobs, so I am just killing lvl 30ish mobs and it seems to be the best way to get XP.

1 час назад, Praag сказал:

How do you plan on leveling him? I am trying to level my Lupos now and its painfully slow, I cant kill lvl 40 mobs, so I am just killing lvl 30ish mobs and it seems to be the best way to get XP.

In practice killing mobs of +6-7lvls to pet is the optimal strategy, since they give almost the same exp as +20lvl mobs but you can grind them faster. Ive got Lupos from 23 to 28 in ~40mins including traveling, for example.

10 часов назад, Roxanne Flowers сказал:

Having a Beast Tame "Fail" is functionally the the same as throwing a spell at a hostile mob and seeing "Resisted" come up.

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?spell=13481

Notice the School: Nature notation in that.  You're basically casting a Nature Spell in order to Tame Beast.  Nature Spells can be Resisted (ask any Balance Druid you can find).

lvl23 mob resisting spell cast by lvl60 hunter? is the possibility of this happening greater than 0 in practice?

Considering the "fact" that it actually happened ... that would mean that the odds of it happening are indeed greater than zero.  It might happen very rarely, but when your sample size is small ... you know the drill.

I was fortunate enough to tame him last night.

Has anyone tested if his shadow damage is mitigated by armor (like on Nostalrius)?

If not, how would I go about testing him? 

On 1/25/2017 at 3:30 PM, Praag said:

It's a pain in the ass to level him up. I spent nearly 7 hours grinding mobs to get him to level 42 (46 at the time). I recommend the worgs/ogres in duskwood until 30, basiliks in SW shimmering flats until 35-36, mobs outside mauradon until 41, then Fire Rocs in tanaris until 44-45. All these mobs are easy to kill. 

3 hours ago, VeryRare said:

Has anyone tested if his shadow damage is mitigated by armor (like on Nostalrius)?

He 100% does shadow damage. I tested this a few times in duels. Also my Lupos is currently level 51 (I'm 53). He rocks!

Edited by 25toten

16 hours ago, VeryRare said:

I tested him. It was rather difficult, and you'll find my method unscientific, but I think you'll get the answer you're looking for.

TL;DR it does more damage than a cat as a BM Hunter.

I noted right away (first thing I checked) that he does do shadow damage. But like the OP noted, only on his auto attacks. His bite still does melee damage. I spent levels 31 to 34 leveling both my cat and Lupos, trying to determine which one does better damage for a BM hunter. Both pets have bite rank 5, and my cat has claw 4 (highest I can get) Lupos has furious howl 2. 

The problem with Lupos, is I can't find an addon for damage metering that will record his shadow damage. One addon reports Lupos doing about 9 dps when he's actually doing around 40-45.  The other addon bugs out with my cat when separating hunter damage with pet damage.  So I decided to just use the damage meter's combat timer. 

For every mob, I cast hunters mark, and serpent sting only. And auto shot the mobs to death. Then I watched how long it took for combat to end. The mobs were spiders and raptors levels 31 to 34.  The cat averaged about 13 or 14 seconds per kill.   Lupos averaged 10 or 11 seconds. 

I attempted to give the cat a fair shot at winning the timers, so I put one point into bestial discipline. (increased focus regen)  The theory was that Lupos doesnt use as much focus because cats dump their focus with claw, and Lupos only has bite and furious howl.   The results were about the same. Lupos finished the job consistently a couple seconds sooner than that cat did.

If you're still reading this post, you may be interested to know, I got straight up ganked by a 38 warrior when I was 33. I had no trap or anything, didnt know he was there, and he charged into me.  I used a health pot, and I killed him with about 15% of my health remaining. 

Thank you, Lupos.

Edited by Hexygon

Looking for timer.

Edit. Killed at 2:53 pm ST at eastern spawn... don't ask how he died... being high lvl and spamming buttons in boredom can make that happen... namely raptor strike crit with asscandy... lul

Edited by Morathe

At this point it's not even worth the effort to try and tame him. Spent over 6 hours over the past 2 days and didn't even see him once. Regular Wolf it is!

So I get to the spawn spot (Elysium server), no other hunters around. This level 60 hunter (Corvus) with an epic mount and some serious BOE gear (Dwarven Hand Cannon, etc.) shows up.

Starts telling me that he'll one shot Lupos if I start taming him first. I laugh and tell him that I could easily kill Lupos before he finishes taming him as well. 

So he immediately starts panicking (since he obviously needs to get back to gold farming ASAP), then calls in a level 60 Alliance buddy to come gank and corpse camp me.

Hunter pets are serious business.

Just now, lineupofpeace said:

So I get to the spawn spot (Elysium server), no other hunters around. This level 60 hunter (Corvus) with an epic mount and some serious BOE gear (Dwarven Hand Cannon, etc.) shows up.

Starts telling me that he'll one shot Lupos if I start taming him first. I laugh and tell him that I could easily kill Lupos before he finishes taming him as well. 

So he immediately starts panicking (since he obviously needs to get back to gold farming ASAP), then calls in a level 60 Alliance buddy to come gank and corpse camp me.

Hunter pets are serious business.

Yea that guy is a piece of shit.

anyone who can confirm this spawn timer for zeth? we've been camping multiple spawns for hours without seeing him.

edit: so far i'd say it's 6-8h

Edited by shirsig