Sign in to follow this  
Aruni

BM DPS in dungeons?

Hello! I'm a new Hunter on Elysium. I've played WoW before, and although I've never been a Hunter, I know that BM is the most efficient way to level.

My question is, what's it like being BM in instances? Part of the reason to why I'm playing again is doing dungeons from 1-60, and I'm looking forward to redoing Deadmines, SM, ZF. Will you do any DPS as a BM hunter? Thinking I might go Marksmanship for leveling to be more versatile, as I don't just want to grind 1-60. I'd like to experience som of the dungeons along the way.

BM does great in leveling dungeons. Your pet does a larger portion of your damage (obviously), so you had better git gud at controlling your pet well.

That said, if you were MM, you really don't have the mana pool or regen while leveling to really aimed shot and multishot on CD, unless you want to drink A LOT. I've found using rank 1 multishot was a great balance while leveling. 

Edited by Software
I suck

Thanks! I'll definitely go BM then. But since my pet will be doing most of my damage, does that mean I should go for a high dps pet like a cat, wolf or raptor while leveling? Currently I have a boar.

Wolf better on the long run (mele buff) , cat is the most balanced one (abit more tanky then wolf) raptors i have no clue on how they work here.

So going for a cat for balanced leveling and dungeons would be a good option? Wolf best purely for dungeons?

Cat has the advantage (over raptors) of charge, other then that Raptor and Cat is about equal, with Raptor having slightly less HP and slightly higher Armour.

Both have higher DPS then Wolf. Wolf is "well rounded" but have the howl.

To a BM it seems like having an high DPS pet is preferable in instances. The wolf is mainly there to supply the Furious Howl buff to all physical DPS, which in normal dungeons is you and possibly 1 more.

i used a cat from swamp of sorrows with 1.2 atk speed and it worked great it outdpsed whole scarlet monastry groups and stole aggro from tanks without growl on etc :D

Edited by keck82

On 7. 2. 2017 at 10:48 PM, Oakenlix said:

A good tanky pet like a boar also helps a great deal to keep trash mobs away from healers if the main tank is CC'ed. 

I dont think this should be happening while lvling and if it does, any pet will suffice. Better bring your cat/raptor/wind serpent pet for DPS.

22 hours ago, Cruzix said:

Well yes. It dosnt do shadow damage on anathema because of patch 1.9. 

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_1.9.0

Still howl is probably best utility it brings while still doing regular pet damage. Sure you get slightly more dps from serpent but its trivial damage difference, get wolf boost ur uber melees and profit;p 

1 hour ago, Morathe said:

Still howl is probably best utility it brings while still doing regular pet damage. Sure you get slightly more dps from serpent but its trivial damage difference, get wolf boost ur uber melees and profit;p 

Serpent?, the next best pet family is cats (And potential best depending on how good you are at pet micromanaging, and which fight)

Personally I'd go with Broken Tooth after patch 1.9 when Lupos is nerfed.

Tbh after seeing Lupos numbers and his dmg everything else seem so subpar now if we talk about pure dps (those 30-40 broken tooth hits make me wanna cry, its barely worth micromanaging and ressing occasionally).

The obvious advantage of serpent is that its lightning breath bypasses armor cause its nature spell and also u can put it in stay safe range and just spam it for fights ur pet would otherwise die instantly in melee range (or require heavy micromanagement and pulling it out of the fight 50% of the time anyway ultimately making it a burden for half of the time) 

But that being said pets dps is just trivial at this point post 1.9, especially against high armor targets its like non-existant so instead picking cat or serpent or whatever really... over a wolf is rather wasted potential. I'd suggest picking wolf for furious howl. Some friends tested that for hit capped (soft) melees, even if howl is consumed by offhand auto attack (worst case scenario) its 11dps increase per person. So worst case scenario is that ur howl increase ur party dps by 44 (most likely more).

So keeping that in mind the only valid pick over wolf would be a pet that guarantees like 50+ more dps for yourself over any other pet (to battle the lack of howl for the party that could potentially produce that number). Ofc those numbers might not be super accurate but its been somewhat tested and depending on compositions etc u'll get different results. One thing is certain... u can keep furious howl on ur party all the time, even on fights that makes you barely use ur pet for damage. Sure u won't see that as ur dps but if u're in a guild with brained people they will appreciate that and give you credit. If you're in guild with dumbasses that only watch personal dps meters... well tough luck. 

Edited by Morathe

On 3/23/2017 at 9:35 AM, Morathe said:

Tbh after seeing Lupos numbers and his dmg everything else seem so subpar now if we talk about pure dps (those 30-40 broken tooth hits make me wanna cry, its barely worth micromanaging and ressing occasionally).

The obvious advantage of serpent is that its lightning breath bypasses armor cause its nature spell and also u can put it in stay safe range and just spam it for fights ur pet would otherwise die instantly in melee range (or require heavy micromanagement and pulling it out of the fight 50% of the time anyway ultimately making it a burden for half of the time) 

But that being said pets dps is just trivial at this point post 1.9, especially against high armor targets its like non-existant so instead picking cat or serpent or whatever really... over a wolf is rather wasted potential. I'd suggest picking wolf for furious howl. Some friends tested that for hit capped (soft) melees, even if howl is consumed by offhand auto attack (worst case scenario) its 11dps increase per person. So worst case scenario is that ur howl increase ur party dps by 44 (most likely more).

So keeping that in mind the only valid pick over wolf would be a pet that guarantees like 50+ more dps for yourself over any other pet (to battle the lack of howl for the party that could potentially produce that number). Ofc those numbers might not be super accurate but its been somewhat tested and depending on compositions etc u'll get different results. One thing is certain... u can keep furious howl on ur party all the time, even on fights that makes you barely use ur pet for damage. Sure u won't see that as ur dps but if u're in a guild with brained people they will appreciate that and give you credit. If you're in guild with dumbasses that only watch personal dps meters... well tough luck. 

How the hell did you come to conclusion that Furious Howl provides 11 DPS for each person... O.o

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?spell=24597 - Party members within 15 yards receive an extra 45 to 58 damage to their next Physical attack. Lasts 10 sec.
45+58/2 = 51.5 avg damage
51.5/10 seconds = 5.15 DPS
And this is under completely perfect scenarios when used exactly when it gets off CD everytime.
However, you also has to consider the small buff radius it has, so everyone from your group might not get buffed AND ofc you have to consider boss mechanics too which often are far more strict for melee's, thus them not being able to benefit from Furious Howl at all times.
Another thing to consider is that Furious Howl might not be working correctly on Elysium (Since it wasn't on Nostalrius), if you have a shot mid-air when you get buffed with Furious Howl, then you won't benefit from the extra damage but the buff will be removed.

So in reality Furious Howl isn't very beneficial.

Caster pets for PvE are shit.. It's a no brainer.
They have about 80% of the stats that a normal pet has (Serpents being a "caster pet"), not to mention that spell resists are highly likely to happen on boss fights. You can read more about caster pets here: http://web.archive.org/web/20070222103856/http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/html/articles/stats_casters.shtml

Broken Tooth is the next best pet to Lupos pre patch 1.9 and potential best post 1.9 depending on how much of a huntard you are. If you're not capable of keeping your pet alive and dodge boss mechanics with it (And at the same time not fail your own rotation etc) then go for Deathmaw post 1.9 instead of Broken Tooth.

Edited by Cruzix

I came up with this back on Nostalrius with collaboration with info provided by Moosie (hunter also). There was a thing making furious howl added not as a flat bonus damage on top of everything else but instead added somewhere between in calculation making it scale accordingly (I can't really tell you because its impossible to find out where and when it adds and the thing is it works somewhat different for various attacks, it was bugged that way). 

I just know that some crazy tryhard hunters like Marisi etc also tested it and came up with same results. 

So my preferance toward wolf is based on that, might test Broken Tooth next raid if he can give me solid 30 more (preferably more based on whats the actual truth about furious howl here) then I might use it. 

On 23. 3. 2017 at 8:55 AM, Cruzix said:

Serpent?, the next best pet family is cats (And potential best depending on how good you are at pet micromanaging, and which fight)

Personally I'd go with Broken Tooth after patch 1.9 when Lupos is nerfed.

Sorry Cruzix, but you are wrong on this. My Wind Serpent lvl 60 is far better than my Cat lvl 60, I lvled with it and the Lightning Breath is simply awesome skill with huge dmg, unlike Claw or Bite. It gets boosted by the Unleashed Fury talent as well.

13 minutes ago, Shaze said:

Sorry Cruzix, but you are wrong on this. My Wind Serpent lvl 60 is far better than my Cat lvl 60, I lvled with it and the Lightning Breath is simply awesome skill with huge dmg, unlike Claw or Bite. It gets boosted by the Unleashed Fury talent as well.

I guess facts lie then. :^)

It could be different for Elysium though, pets are probably bugged to oblivion like many other things.

3 minutes ago, Cruzix said:

It could be different for Elysium though, pets are probably bugged to oblivion like many other things.

I have similar experience from Kronos tbh, the 3% difference in white dmg is overshadowed by the instant lightning breath with high dmg. Also Kronos had ZG released so +1 LB rank, making the difference slightly larger.

You guys are completely missing what OP asked for, he wanted to know what kind of pet would be best to use whilst leveling + doing dungeons.

If I'm reading your posts correctly you're talking about level 60 pets and dungeons. 

I prefer Broken Tooth by MILES over any other pet for leveling. The only pets I would consider at all for leveling are cats and raptors. 

Furious Howl isn't worth it, and you don't need pets with more armor/ HP because you simply should never have trouble keeping your pet alive. (Considering how pet HP regens too fast, and even if it didn't that wouldn't change anything)

Broken Tooth will give you the most overall, it owns in dungeons, it owns in PvP, it owns for leveling.

Edited by Pindakaas

2 hours ago, Cruzix said:

Ofc, we should talk about things having Elysium specifics in mind. It's pointless comparing things according to official wiki/how we remember things. Its not a wow knowledge quiz :P Although its favorable to note what things are working this or that way due to the bug or else. 

Back to the topic tho :) Brother Tooth (cause its a pvp predator) is must have but pre 1.9 Lupos (especially on elysium servers) is hands down best raiding pet. Why? Because on Elysium servers its shadow damage doesn't steal shadow vulnerability stacks but benefit from it (bugged but thats how it is) also it benefits from curse of shadows and nightfall etc. My Lupos had 300-400 normal hits on Bwl mobs and bosses. Imagine 2k+ crits on chromag from pet auto attacks (cause all the synergy). Post 1.9 id say its down to preference. Furious howl is bugged in a plethora of ways which makes it unclear how it benefits the party dps but for me it should be calculated like this - wolf own dps + possible min/max dps in adds to the party vs other pet own dps. Ofc Broken Tooth got better pure dps, no1 questions that. 

I'd be happy to see "scientific" tests on furious howl for that matter but I don't know how I could approach it. Its hard to isolate benefits of furious howl alone. 

On 2/6/2017 at 9:43 AM, Aruni said:

Hello! I'm a new Hunter on Elysium. I've played WoW before, and although I've never been a Hunter, I know that BM is the most efficient way to level.

My question is, what's it like being BM in instances? Part of the reason to why I'm playing again is doing dungeons from 1-60, and I'm looking forward to redoing Deadmines, SM, ZF. Will you do any DPS as a BM hunter? Thinking I might go Marksmanship for leveling to be more versatile, as I don't just want to grind 1-60. I'd like to experience som of the dungeons along the way.

Welcome to hunters.

On 2/6/2017 at 0:42 PM, Software said:

That said, if you were MM, you really don't have the mana pool or regen while leveling to really aimed shot and multishot on CD, unless you want to drink A LOT. I've found using rank 1 multishot was a great balance while leveling. 

Rank 1 multi and you'll be fine. I leveled MM and used Aimed and Multi on CD.

See Hunter Macros & Tips [Redux] thread, section 3.2.3 for details.

Or instead of using R1 multi shot, learn to utilize the 6 second rule.

Use your magic based shots at the start including tagging things with a sting, and then auto attack.   Never drink, down time saved > time saved using weak multi shot while leveling.

In 5 mans, the group being able to focus fire the first mob(s) in a pull > anybodies spec.