Sign in to follow this  
Ironfoot

Idea against gold selling whispers

The big idea:

Write a programme which blocks the messages which contain certain words/characters/numbers in a message. 
I have already realised that we get muted if we send a bigger amount of messages over a period, which is really cool, but definitely not enough.

I get the same whispers with the same text for days, I don't even understand why you don't use this method when several private servers - including Nost - used it and it worked well. These black market workers don't even have to try hard to advertise their shits.

Just for an example:

This is the basic text: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 
If it contains the following exact characters:  Ł - 0wow - gold          or: 0ww - & - Đ        etc.

mute the character for an hour, and check the blocked messages and bann the filtered characters ingame.

I know it has to be a well written programme but I think you do more complicated things than this.
If I'm wrong could you please at least give a feedback why is it not applicable?

All the bests,
Iron

Either I recieve less spam than everyone else or I just care less about it, but the goldseller spam never bothered me at all. What's so annoying about it?

One solution. Block VPN and for the remaining spammers hit the banhammer very hard for one week and all spam is gone.

1 hour ago, Eldoon said:

Download the addon SpamThrotle. I haven't received a single gold selling advert since.

Thanks mate, probably I'll do it. 

27 minutes ago, Oakenlix said:

Either I recieve less spam than everyone else or I just care less about it, but the goldseller spam never bothered me at all. What's so annoying about it?

It's not just about whispers, it's about server economy. We can't defend against farming bots, but we can stop the advertisement. If there will be less demand for buying gold these faggots won't work this hard. 

The current system is a joke, I reported today 3 bots but I got 2 more whispers from the first reported guy within the next 3 hours.

I really would like to see improvement in this issue. 

On 9/11/2017 at 1:50 AM, Kazuma said:

One solution. Block VPN and for the remaining spammers hit the banhammer very hard for one week and all spam is gone.

Block VPN? Well you obviously don't know how VPN works. 

PS. Elysium's anti-spam system really sucks hard. You get muted for ~1 hour even for spamming LFM RFK every 15 seconds or so on /world. 

On 9/8/2017 at 6:17 PM, Ironfoot said:

The big idea:

Write a programme which blocks the messages which contain certain words/characters/numbers in a message. 
I have already realised that we get muted if we send a bigger amount of messages over a period, which is really cool, but definitely not enough.

I get the same whispers with the same text for days, I don't even understand why you don't use this method when several private servers - including Nost - used it and it worked well. These black market workers don't even have to try hard to advertise their shits.

Just for an example:

This is the basic text: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 
If it contains the following exact characters:  Ł - 0wow - gold          or: 0ww - & - Đ        etc.

mute the character for an hour, and check the blocked messages and bann the filtered characters ingame.

I know it has to be a well written programme but I think you do more complicated things than this.
If I'm wrong could you please at least give a feedback why is it not applicable?

All the bests,
Iron

I have several problems with this. The most obvious being to find a volunteer to check the blocked messages.

I have to wonder just how much business these gold spammers get.  They would have to be farming on Elysium to be able to sell gold here, correct?

At any rate, they aren't going to get any sales from me, if I want to play with high level gear quickly I can just log into my normal WoW account and play my 106 hunter.

8 hours ago, synotaxidae said:

Block VPN? Well you obviously don't know how VPN works. 

PS. Elysium's anti-spam system really sucks hard. You get muted for ~1 hour even for spamming LFM RFK every 15 seconds or so on /world. 

Hmm ok so how come Nost managed to block vpn but Elysium cant. Dont talk shit to others if you know jack shit either.

5 minutes ago, Josipbroz said:

Also, gold spam was as common on Nostalrius as it was on Elysium, so I don't quite understand why you are brining up Nostalrius.

It was not.

Goldspam happened way less on Nost than it does here.

Needless to say that is due to the media and all the "hype" in general over Nostalrius coming back as the Elysium project.
Still, it does happen here way more than on Nost.

Especially since they only automated account and email creation since Elysium.

56 minutes ago, Josipbroz said:

Stuff like this is partially already being done, but they always come up with new things. That being said, we're currently working on some major changes to antispam.

tenor.gif

7 hours ago, Kazuma said:

Hmm ok so how come Nost managed to block vpn but Elysium cant. Dont talk фекал to others if you know jack фекал either.

Please do not spread baseless rumours. Nostalrius never blocked VPNs. I'm like 99.999% sure that I would have known if we had been blocking them.

20 hours ago, Nelythia said:

It was not.

Goldspam happened way less on Nost than it does here.

Needless to say that is due to the media and all the "hype" in general over Nostalrius coming back as the Elysium project.
Still, it does happen here way more than on Nost.

Especially since they only automated account and email creation since Elysium.

Nice stats you've got there. 

I almost never get a goldwhisper. Try logging in on EU hours.

instead of scanning the content of the message track the amount of whispers to different characters, that's a far easier way of differenciating legit players from whisper bots

When I play with groups, we always get a whisper at the same time (+-5 seconds), so just blocking anyone sending whispers more than once every few seconds (incredibly unrealistic for someone who is legit) to several different people would certainly slow it down by a ton. To the extent where it likely shouldn't bother people too much, cause the rarity of the whispers would go down by a huge margin

Edited by Zondac

When I log on 10seconds in and I get whispered with these retarded spam messages. Still nothing seems to get done, banning these shitters is a good start. Finally someone useing hes brain seeing trough the huge money scheme these chinese have going in between their guilds. Let me nuance this, its definitely not only the chinese, but they're most of the cancer, pretty sure. If they're not spamming for their shady gold selling websites, they're farming with their gear obtained from exploiting dungeons and other bugs or win trading for r14.

I know Kronos had some sort of chat block if you typed in Nost or Nostalrius lmao.. was kinda funny..

I think a good way may be to use a regex expression?