Rottenness

Lockpicking Guide 1-300

Vanilla WoW Lockpicking Guide

Step 1 : (About 1-75) Do the Initial Rogue lockpicking quest

Horde:
This entails feeding a parrot a cracker close to ratchet, then unlocking the chests on the boat. You want to do this until the chests are grey to you, and ya, its going to take a while.

Alliance:
You're going to go to the tower in Lakeshire and open them up until they're grey to you as well.

Step 2 : (About 75-175) Poison Quest

Horde:
Little known trick, while doing this quest in the NW barrens in the Venture Co. area is a chest at the top of a tower... Repeat what you did in Step 1. Open that chest until it goes grey... That'll help get you passed or up to 175

Alliance:
Similar to Horde. While in the tower at Westfall keep opening the chest at the top until you reach about 175. May be hard if the boss aggro's you so bring a friend or level up. The chest will curse you every time you open it so if you do this after the initial quest you have to get a cleanse.

Step 3 : (About 175-250) Scarlet Monestary (see step 4 if to hard)

Horde and Alliance:
You can first start with unlocking the door into the instances but this can only be done about every 10 minutes per door. If you don't wait then it doesn't count as skill up. So just pick them then run into the Cathedral. Jump into the left locked door and into the cathedral instance. Sneak up, or run if you can avoid being aggro'd, and pick the cathedral door then run out and reset. If you find you are too low to start on the door because you are too lazy, jump into the first instance and pickpocket everything in there. This is of course, making sure you have your stealth maxed to avoid detection. You can repeat that as many times as needed, but if you followed step 1 and 2, the cathedral door will get you to 250. This step can take longer than when I originally did it since you can only reset an instance 5 times an hour.

Step 4 : (About 250-280) Pickpocketed Boxes or Various Footlockers

Horde and Alliance:
Like mentioned at the top, when you pickpocket mobs and they drop boxes you can't open yet, save them and when you can open them you'll get a big fast boost. Once I opened up the SM doors to 250 I had heavy lockboxes I used and got 20 free points. Pickpocket and lockpick them until your heart is content. Although SM is more effective cause of the respawn, it is better then getting pummled by elite's. You also want to go around to zones that are within your level range and find footlockers.

Step 5 : (About 280-300) Black Rock Depths

Horde and Alliance:
All you have to do now is lockpick inside BRD until 300. What you do is go into BRD and turn left and open up the 3 doors. Rinse and Repeat until 300. You get a max of 3 skill ups per run.

All credit goes to FuriousPaul @ BlizzardGuides.

Thank you!

On 17.01.2017 at 9:13 PM, Rogueh said:

Thanks for this Guide brah. 

On 18.01.2017 at 11:36 AM, Xzane said:

super helpful. thank you 

You welcome guys! Crack those locks like real thieves!

7 hours ago, Fatherfrost said:

How can i level up my LP skill 100-175 if i already completed poisons quest (alliance side)?

The chest still works, but you need to actively select the lockpicking ability (blue outline on the cursor) and then click the chest. This is true of a few other chests too. No more right-clicking...

7 hours ago, Fatherfrost said:

How can i level up my LP skill 100-175 if i already completed poisons quest (alliance side)?

Same question here, I cant seem to pick the lock even if I manually do it.

I get a level from every 10-15 times I open the poison quest chest in westfall. My LP is only at 125.

3 часа назад, Vene сказал:

I get a level from every 10-15 times I open the poison quest chest in westfall. My LP is only at 125.

That's really weird, I made from 70-something to 170 in about half hour and it was very fast till 150-ish.

10 hours ago, Gregory said:

That's really weird, I made from 70-something to 170 in about half hour and it was very fast till 150-ish.

Thats what I was thinking too. Every guide I look at says use that chest but it's doing nothing.

My personal leveling guide (combined from few other guides actually):

IMPORTANT!!! I recommend to level till 60 then go for LP past 70. It will be much faster when you don't need to kill mobs around.

1-70: Lockpicking quest. 70 required for Posion quest, don't bother to level higher - it is very slow.

70-170: Poison quest chest (remember to activate Pick Lock skill then click on chest). becoming grey at 170.

170-175: up to you. I've got it trying to do step 3 from OP guide, but it was very slow. Doors outside didnt reset for about 30m i've spent here so you can get level up only once. But you can open doors insde cathedral and armory (50+ only i believe, otherwise you will pull surrounding packs) then reset instances.

175-225: footlockers in Angor Fortress, Badlands http://db.vanillagaming.org/?object=179492

225-250: footlockers in caves, Searing Gorge http://db.vanillagaming.org/?object=179494

250-280: footlockers in pirates area, Tanaris http://db.vanillagaming.org/?object=179496 Really hard to get last few points so you can use some Lockboxes if you have them.

280-300: 3 doors in BRD + shadowforge lock (only if you level 60, then you don't pull surrounding packs). You don't get level up every time so one series of 5 instance locks per hour not enough. Either open some lockboxes again or wait hour and repeat 1-2 runs.

Footlockers respawn very fast, basically when you learn their positions first one already here when you finish whole circle. Expect some competition in Tanaris though.

Theres a bunch of boxes that respawns fast around the murloc camps in Wetlands too.

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?object=179488

Can get skillpoints around 110 - 175.

Also, Desolace is a nice place for the waterlogged boxes. for approx 150 - 200. There are 4-5 of them rather close to each other at the western shore (check the map below).

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?object=179491#wh-comments

Edited by Razk

I went to the Poison Quest lockbox and was able to level up to 170ish pretty easily. It's got to be some kind of bug because I know that I opened that thing 20 times and didn't level at all a few days ago. Stick with it and you'll get over that hump.

Edited by Vene

I just went to the Sar'thenis Strand in Desolace and there were no footlockers anywhere so is SM the only viable option? sounds like a major pain.

Yeah, they are in the water as showed in the screenshot in the link i provided.

At least it worked a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by Razk

On 2/5/2017 at 1:25 AM, Konuvis said:

I just went to the Sar'thenis Strand in Desolace and there were no footlockers anywhere so is SM the only viable option? sounds like a major pain.

Yeah there were none when I went on Saturday (I also went to wetlands and none there either so it was bugged) but I went again today and leveled to 200 so now it works.

I skilled from 165 to 180 on the chest here. Only downside is the 2min respawn. No idea about the actual skill range of this chest.

Edited by Bjoolz

where is the tower for 70-170?

I went back to the tower in westfall in the south near the stv border, but could not open the chest in there as i had completed the quest already?  is that the chest you speak of?  

On 2/21/2017 at 9:34 AM, Bjoolz said:

I skilled from 165 to 180 on the chest here. Only downside is the 2min respawn. No idea about the actual skill range of this chest.

Thank you for this. I will check it out tonight.

Do SM doors work for anyone? I was able to lockpick the 3 doors once and I got the skillups. Now days have passed already, I keep trying to come back and lockpick them again but I am not getting any skill ups.

So I am stuck at 173 right now, unable to lockpick sturdy junkboxes I have while everything else is grey to me. I will check on this chest in STV, if it doesnt work I guess the only option is to buy +5 lockpick gloves.