aeruwynn

deadmines is abbreviated as dm

6 hours ago, Gehere said:

These two statements are pure bullcrap.   Never have you been more wrong.

Upon releasing World of Warcraft, there was no Dire Maul.   It is an later added dungeon, in early Vanilla.

Through closed beta.  Throught open beta.  And obviously in the beginning of Vanilla - The Deadmines was called DM.

My bad, I forgot you always got to include caveats or people lose their ваууing minds. Yes, for 4 whole months after the launch of vanilla, while Dire Maul didn't exist Deadmines was referred to as DM. But as soon as Dire Maul was released, everyone abbreviated Deadmines, VC. This was to make sure there wasn't any confusion as to what dungeon you wanted a group for. Some people still preferred to call Deadmines DM out of habit, or because they were too low level/new to understand why everyone called Deadmines VC. But if you had any ounce of decency, you just called Deadmines VC or just typed out "Deadmines" as to not confuse people. It's a simple concept really.

56 minutes ago, FrozenFire said:

My bad, I forgot you always got to include caveats or people lose their ваууing minds. Yes, for 4 whole months after the launch of vanilla, while Dire Maul didn't exist Deadmines was referred to as DM. But as soon as Dire Maul was released, everyone abbreviated Deadmines, VC. This was to make sure there wasn't any confusion as to what dungeon you wanted a group for. Some people still preferred to call Deadmines DM out of habit, or because they were too low level/new to understand why everyone called Deadmines VC. But if you had any ounce of decency, you just called Deadmines VC or just typed out "Deadmines" as to not confuse people. It's a simple concept really.

It's not really confusing when most people add west, east, north/tribute. It's like with SM; you almost always add GY, Lib, Arms, Cath to specify what part you are going to do, never just "SM". I don't think many people do east+west+north in one session, at least I haven't seen that.

VC is fine to say if it's hard to pick up from context or just lazy to shift-click to check people's levels, imo.

In the end it doesn't matter, it's easy to figure out.

Edited by tywald

Glad everyone ignored my screenshot. Vanilla people will know what was embraced by the community (VC). I'm sorry some of you are angry that either you weren't there or are remembering wrong.

2 hours ago, taladril said:

Glad everyone ignored my screenshot. Vanilla people will know what was embraced by the community (VC). I'm sorry some of you are angry that either you weren't there or are remembering wrong.

I can't say if I remember any "VC" on Frostmane EU but I remember I didn't use it, this was in late 2006 though as I was planning to reroll Alliance with a couple of friends for TBC; before that I played Horde on Bladefist EU / Outland EU(mass server migration) which I eventually went back to; prior to that was as Horde on Bloodscalp EU(irrelevant, I know).

On a more recent Atlas (1.12.0) it says DM for Deadmines and DME, DMW and DMN for the Dire Maul instances. I don't know if that version is fake or whatnot but meh, it doesn't really matter imo.

Off topic: one thing I'm not used to see is "PST", the realms I played on used like "w me" etc. instead or just left it out and just let the LFG/LFM or whatever message it is to speak for itself; since you know, you usually whisper the person who puts it up.

Edited by tywald

As far as I'm concerned, the lack of "N/E/W" would imply it means Deadmines. DM = Deadmines. DM E = Dire Maul East, and so on. If there's no cardinal direction, it's Deadmines. If there is, it's fairly obvious which wing of Dire Maul they mean.

If you were specifically targeting VC, saying "LFG VC" makes sense, but you can't skip any bosses in Deadmines as far as I know, so it's a bit pointless to say you're targeting a specific boss when you have to run the whole thing to get to it.

10 hours ago, noob257 said:

I never understood why it's "DPS" on english realms. Is "Damage Dealer" incorrect english?

It doesn't really make sense to call someone a "Damage per Second".

No, damage dealer is not improper. I imagine it's just a cultural thing. It doesn't really make sense, as "healer" and "tank" are both roles, while "DPS" is not, yet "DPS" is what is preferred. Perhaps it has something do with the implication of "DPS." Everyone deals damage, but "DPS" is the focus of dealing the most damage per second by maximizing your rotation, stats, and so on.

In addition, it's pronunciation makes a difference, I bet. "The deedee needs to pick it up," versus "The DPS needs to pick it up." The latter just flows more naturally off the tongue.

For the record, many different realms existed in vanilla. Just because it was that way in your realm/region doesn't mean that's how it was everywhere. It even varies amongst the individual communities within a single realm.

Just like how it is here now. Some people say DD, some say DPS. Some say DM, some say VC. Neither is "wrong," because, as long as people know what you mean, it's always "right."

Edited by Fisher

23 hours ago, noob257 said:

Never used Atlas. We called Deadmines DM in vanilla. But maybe that's an european / german thing.

And we called Dire Maul by which part of it we were doing, just like SM-Armoury, or Cath. Or Maradon.

EU servers used different abbreviations. I never saw it called VC until I hit a USA server. Because, really... why would a level 18 be wanting to go to the Maul?

If you type "DM", 99.99% of the new players coming from retail, that never played during Vanilla, are going to assume you meant Deadmines, and if you tell them that DM means Dire Maul and VC means Van Cleef, they are going to ask you what a Dire Maul is, and who Van Cleef is.

It's a neat tradition to call it "VC", but DM has meant Deadmines, in retail WoW, for quite awhile, so no one is going to know what the hell you're talking about using VC.

On a side note: the Germans calling tanks Damage Takers has gotten a little out of hand, though.

Edited by Upgrade

3 hours ago, Upgrade said:

they are going to ask you what a Dire Maul is,

Every retail player knows what Dire Maul is. You do this dungeon multiple times during the level process.

3 hours ago, Upgrade said:

On a side note: the Germans calling tanks Damage Takers has gotten a little out of hand, though.

Bullshit. We call them tanks.

On 13/01/2017 at 5:06 AM, taladril said:

Undeniable proof: http://imgur.com/a/cO8Eh

This is Atlas, one of the most used addons in vanilla. Every dungeon had its own "code" next to the name. Once dire maul showed up, deadmines forever and permanently became VC.

@OP Rekt.

On 13/1/2017 at 5:06 AM, taladril said:

Undeniable proof: http://imgur.com/a/cO8Eh

This is Atlas, one of the most used addons in vanilla. Every dungeon had its own "code" next to the name. Once dire maul showed up, deadmines forever and permanently became VC.

Very nice photoshop.

Funny though - cause I have one saying otherwise.  And mine is genuine.

Atlas - The Deadmines

To be fair, It's abbreviation was DM before the patch where Dire Maul was added in retail.  After Dire Maul was added, people started calling it VC because Atlas changed it.

So..... It should be DM for another few months, if we want to be totally Blizzlike.

Edited by Bobwillneverdie

On 2017-01-13 at 2:06 PM, Henceforth said:

It was VC all the time.

Deadmines is VC. Always been VC and will always be VC. Or just Deadmines. But VC. not DM. 

Please also stop calling DPS as DD.

Are you kidding?

First of all Deadmines was DM before Dire Maul even existed.

Can people not understand that servers were different too? Some collectively changed Deadmines to VC and some didn't.

DD was the common abbreviation for damage dealer before WoW and on some servers it was still the norm for a very long time.

I know on KJ (AU / US ) in vanilla We called it DPS and VC i think it's more of a RU / EU thing to say DD / DUDU or druid and DM for VC, But that's just my take, i't a silly fight that causes infighting and allow's people to continue to screw one another, for power and such. it's quite fun and games. 

Edited by rikkisix

Here's a real simple solution.  If you see someone using DM to refer to deadmines in world/trade/general(city), put them on your ignore list.  Then you don't have to group with retards in later dungeons.

If you choose to not use DME/DMW/DMT/DMN for a Dire Maul ur doing then u DESERVE getting whispered by lowbies interested in deadmines...

Edited by Knife

Deadmines came first, therefore rightfully claims "DM"

If a new fried chicken place came out a year after Kentucky Fried Chicken with the same Initials I wouldn't expect the new place to steal "KFC".
First come, first serve.  I played from vanilla to wrath and the only people who ever called Deadmines "VC" were raiders who thought they were too hardcore for school. 

We could all just use DMe, DMn, DMw for east, north, and west Dire Maul which in turn would allow those who still prefer to use DM for deadmines, to do so. I'm used to VC myself, but because of the epic turds on the server who will ignore you if you don't use their version of the correct abbreviation, I just spell the damn thing out. Regardless, so long as you get your point across as to which instance you're LFG about, doesn't(shouldn't) matter what abbreviation you choose to use.

Back in the days in 2005 , we used to call Deadmine as DM in my server Burning Blade EU . This remain up to today and people still call it DM.

Originally is VC but except Americans , nobody give a 2 cent about how it is called. People want to call it DM because it is easier.

VC is the short name of VanCleef

/Kind regards Killerduki

Edited by killerduki

Pottu, please implement an auto ban on any account if the text reads DM and does not follow with an E, W, or N afterwards. Then we can all say that VC is right and live happily ever after. Be the hero we deserve, because what we need is sanity!

When someone is LFG for DM they are most likely referring to The Deadmines. Had they been after Dire Maul they would most likely specify which side. To satisfy your skepticism you can shift+leftclick their name.