Sign in to follow this  
PassionateLearner

Too Many Vanilla Veterans!

hello all,

I notice in my brief experience here in Elysium that there are far too many player that know everything about this game and in which patch certain item come out and which gear is supposedly the best for the class.

My question to those people is: Why you play here? What is the point of playing a game where you know everything that is going to happen, where it drops, etc ,etc ? Does it not feel like a job?

I am new Wow player, I was excited to explore around and see many different zones and do many different quests however I always come across to many people that know EVERYTHING! It is very annoying for me. I recently completed the dungeon deadmines and it was like a job. The other four members knew exactly where to go, which mobs to pull, which to avoid, etc. I just wanted to check it all out! I wanted to explore -- you know what you should do in a DUNGEON! 

I fear this is only gonna get worse as I reach higher levels where people know exactly where the entry is, exactly where the boss they want to kill is located, etc.

Not enough people want to help out each other and LEARN together.

Do you feel special that you've memorized everything in a 13 year old game?

You can explore as much as you want. Dungeons really aren't that much of an experience, especially since you will run specific dungeons a looot of times once you hit 60.
Focus on the game itself, the classes, the quests and stories they tell you, not some random dungeon.

Also, knowing everything about the game doesn't mean that you can't play it.
MinMaxing is a lot of fun for a lot of players as well.

The game certainly does not feel like a job.

Leveling is actually my favorite part of vanilla, for two main reasons:

1. Social Aspects:  I love meeting new people ingame and talking to them for hours about anything, vanilla is the most social point in the game's history in my opinion.  Being social is required for many many quests and I love to see people working together.

2. Sense of progress:  Only in Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath do I feel this.  I love how every piece of gear that you obtain actually matters, it feels so great to finally get an upgrade for something after great amounts of work and then noticing the effect that piece of gear has on your damage output.  I also love getting new ranks of spells, you just get more powerful and powerful.  In Vanilla, you truly notice how little you start at and how far you have actually come, it's just great.

23 minutes ago, PassionateLearner said:

hello all,

I notice in my brief experience here in Elysium that there are far too many player that know everything about this game and in which patch certain item come out and which gear is supposedly the best for the class.

My question to those people is: Why you play here? What is the point of playing a game where you know everything that is going to happen, where it drops, etc ,etc ? Does it not feel like a job?

I am new Wow player, I was excited to explore around and see many different zones and do many different quests however I always come across to many people that know EVERYTHING! It is very annoying for me. I recently completed the dungeon deadmines and it was like a job. The other four members knew exactly where to go, which mobs to pull, which to avoid, etc. I just wanted to check it all out! I wanted to explore -- you know what you should do in a DUNGEON! 

I fear this is only gonna get worse as I reach higher levels where people know exactly where the entry is, exactly where the boss they want to kill is located, etc.

Not enough people want to help out each other and LEARN together.

Do you feel special that you've memorized everything in a 13 year old game?

While I'm not totally new to WoW... I played retail either just before or after TBC came out, then quit for over a decade due to lack of time, and then my boss (of all people) introduced me to Elysium just over 2 months ago... so I can sympathize with what you're saying to a degree. (I think I'm now either up to or past how far I got on retail.)

I'll compare your experience to when I was playing Final Fantasy X-2. I clocked multiple hundreds of hours on that game... going from beginning to end at least 5 or 6 times. I saw every end game scenario, followed every story line branch, got every outfit for the girls......... at no point did it feel like a job. It was fun to see and do it all and to test myself if I could do something better then the last run.

To build off of what Nelythia said above, the vets are probably playing WoW the same way... testing themselves with each run. You should look for a guild/group of newer players, ones that are still learning things... or just go solo and enjoy living in the world as it is. (Do you feel the same way about real people that are in their 60s that have done and seen so much more than you?)

Finally... "Do you feel special that you've memorized everything in a 13 year old game?"... you could have left that off, you were doing great until then. That last part just comes off as being a dick.

In my experience on Anathema, most players I've met had took a very long break from the game. Theres a few like me who didn't play vanilla at all. 

I'm sure theres a lot of players like that on Elysium too, theyre probably just too overwhelmed to chat:P

And to be honest, veterans need noobs around otherwise its harder to know how good they are so they'll probably like all your inexperience.

Edited by ScottK1994

I don't know what else you expect from a decade old game. Most players who play it are veterans. It's not new. But this in every way works to your favor. The server is full of knowledgeable players that can tell you things, and when you join guilds, they generally know how to clear the content. I don't know why you'd ever want to be ignorant about something, nor know any situation where it is a good thing. "I want to wipe my brain and be an idiot again", said no one.

This has happened to every game I can think of. Especially when they get to be 10+ years old, the playerbase will dwindle and all that is left are regulars, or veterans. 

Super Smash Bros Melee, Quake Live, CS Source, tons of old games have very few newcomers and mostly just veterans, and oldschool WoW is getting to that point, even with these fresh private servers. There's no more balancing going on, no more additional patches, and so the regulars are exploiting every shortcut imaginable. 

It goes from the volatile stage of wonder, mystery and exploration, to the advanced stage of theorycrafting, min-maxing and strategizing. When there's nothing else to learn, yet you still find the game fun, what else would you do? it's just how we work. There's plenty who don't fit this mold, and that's fine. You might be better off finding a new game to play, unless you can ignore all that.

Your best bet is to try and find some leveling friends that are also new to the game/server.  The game is old, of course most people are going to be familiar with it, especially on a private server.

There as been so many private servers over the past decade trying to mimics vanilla WoW, so many wipe, so many characters losts.

Most players have been throughout some of them and ended up catching all the knowledge at some points, after releveling multiple characters cause servers can't stay open more than a years really gives you an advantage once you start over again.

Thats why WoW is "dying". Since Blizzard isn't producing content with "Blizz spirit" anymore (no more wow from ~wotlk/cata). So yeah, WoW as gaming community have only 2 ways: Re-release of "new WoW" or custom private servers with Blizzlike spirit, and I bet that 2-nd option is going very soon.

16 hours ago, Guardian452 said:

While I'm not totally new to WoW... I played retail either just before or after TBC came out, then quit for over a decade due to lack of time, and then my boss (of all people) introduced me to Elysium just over 2 months ago... so I can sympathize with what you're saying to a degree. (I think I'm now either up to or past how far I got on retail.)

I'll compare your experience to when I was playing Final Fantasy X-2. I clocked multiple hundreds of hours on that game... going from beginning to end at least 5 or 6 times. I saw every end game scenario, followed every story line branch, got every outfit for the girls......... at no point did it feel like a job. It was fun to see and do it all and to test myself if I could do something better then the last run.

To build off of what Nelythia said above, the vets are probably playing WoW the same way... testing themselves with each run. You should look for a guild/group of newer players, ones that are still learning things... or just go solo and enjoy living in the world as it is. (Do you feel the same way about real people that are in their 60s that have done and seen so much more than you?)

Finally... "Do you feel special that you've memorized everything in a 13 year old game?"... you could have left that off, you were doing great until then. That last part just comes off as being a dick.

I agree my last comment may be too harsh. I had just logged off and was frusterated.

Maybe I was not very clear in my writing. I LIKE that there are some (but very few) people that have a lot of knoweldge and can help out. I don't like that may people have just been playing this same game over and over again for years and expect me to know everything when I try to ask a simple question!! 

17 hours ago, IAMSADWARVENS said:

The game certainly does not feel like a job.

Leveling is actually my favorite part of vanilla, for two main reasons:

1. Social Aspects:  I love meeting new people ingame and talking to them for hours about anything, vanilla is the most social point in the game's history in my opinion.  Being social is required for many many quests and I love to see people working together.

2. Sense of progress:  Only in Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath do I feel this.  I love how every piece of gear that you obtain actually matters, it feels so great to finally get an upgrade for something after great amounts of work and then noticing the effect that piece of gear has on your damage output.  I also love getting new ranks of spells, you just get more powerful and powerful.  In Vanilla, you truly notice how little you start at and how far you have actually come, it's just great.

Agreed men! So far I am liking getting some blue armor pieces from dungeons and noticing i do more damage to the monsters that I face. I also like that i must spend many coins to learn new spells. I am only make level 28 but i enjoy my character and want him to become more strong.

Maybe my post was too much of a rage post bc I was getting mad that people were calling me noob bc I am still learning all the skills I should use during a fight. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, PassionateLearner said:

Agreed men! So far I am liking getting some blue armor pieces from dungeons and noticing i do more damage to the monsters that I face. I also like that i must spend many coins to learn new spells. I am only make level 28 but i enjoy my character and want him to become more strong.

Maybe my post was too much of a rage post bc I was getting mad that people were calling me noob bc I am still learning all the skills I should use during a fight. 

Thanks.

The thing is... you are a noob... and so am I.

I think what a lot of people forget is that they were noobs once too.

From what I've seen here, you can share ppl in a few groups in here.

First the Noobs. Everything new, no knowledge before, fail & learn is a normal style to play.

Then there's the ppl that have some or a lot of exp on vanilla, who know things, but do still fail some times, and accept "failure is always an option" (tm by MB) as normal play.

Then there's the *other* group.... The extreme elitists who do it for being best, expect only the best, and settle only for the best. Those who call noobs noobs, kick you from group 'cause you have wrong enchant on an item, can't buff you classes 60min buff due not having reagents, complain about every wipe etc etc etc.

My advice is just ignore the a-holes & have fun. I personally know quite a lot about mage (pref frost mage) in vanilla, but rolled a druid 'cause it's the class i never did in vanilla. And having a blast being a noob with it.

I hope I did not get banned for game by make this topic. If so I am sorry! I just want to return to my character and make him more strong! I havent been able to log in for many day!

Edited by PassionateLearner

Vanilla WoW is like a donut. Sure it's old, and maybe time has made it kinda stale. But it's still a donut, and it always tastes good. New MMO's are like a fresh pile of dog crap. Yeah, it's fresh... but it's still dog crap. 

Guess which one I'd rather eat.

Edited by Stitches

On 4.10.2017 at 11:45 PM, PassionateLearner said:

They dont play the game because they know everything about it, they know all about it because they love the game. For various reasons.

But i totally get your point. Exploring and finding answers yourself can satisfy much more than when other ppl just tell you how it works.

But what can you do about it? You can just try to avoid those ppl and find alikes, there should also be several guilds that mainly recruit and have rather unexperienced players