knOx

PvP Huntard?

So , i played alot on feenix , i got rank 11 with my warrior , and had some nice PVE weapon. Now i want to try out a new class.How is hunter in pvp? i mean i will also take engineering and so on , my question is its a strong or a weak class , high skill cap? i ask because on feenix were not so many good hunters.

The question is for both , Battlegrounds premades and wpvp 1vsX. Thanks in advice for your answers

4 hours ago, knOx said:

Yea but on a serious note , is it a high skill cap class or a pretty much noobish one :) 

Extremely high skill cap for hunter PvP. There's a lot to consider. It can be quite a strong class, and it's also very fun in my opinion.

I don't have time to get into detail right now, but thought I'd just leave a reply anyway. :p I'm sure someone else can explain the intricacies in the meantime.

Edited by Raziya

You have one of the stronger PvP chars during levelling and you dont need much skill to kill people.

But on lvl 60 in serious PvP, the Hunter skill cap is very very high and its hard class to master.

I feel like hunter is a strong class in general, but it has some hard counters among other classes (paladins, shadow priests for example), so hunter really shines in group fights where he can pull the trigger without being targeted too much.

But my pvp experience with hunter is quite limited, so I might be wrong.

11 hours ago, Oakenlix said:

I feel like hunter is a strong class in general, but it has some hard counters among other classes (paladins, shadow priests for example), so hunter really shines in group fights where he can pull the trigger without being targeted too much.

Funny, I have the exact opposite opinion on Paladins. My PvP experiences are limited to open world PvP up to level 40, but Paladins have usually been pushovers. Outside of their stun they don't have any ranged damage/CC/gap closer to keep you from kiting them, so all they really do is heal themselves until they're oom and then they die.

Classes that can easily CC your pet are troublesome, given how much of the Hunter's DPS (at least if BM specced) relies on the pet. But a Feign Death + Ice Trap macro give Hunters usually a good fighting chance against every melee class and a bit of kiting (or the 31 point BM talent) make them competitive in any ranged duel.

It takes a bit of practice and timing to get good at overcoming the initial assault of your opponent. Once the fight is under control at range, it feels as if Hunters have all the tools to keep it under control (increased movement speed, ranged slow, ranged damage, stealth detection, DoTs, etc.), but to overcome the first gap closer (Intercept, ranged stun, Blink, etc.) takes a bit of practice because you need to react correctly and quickly or you just die.

Edited by Fizzlestix

Yeah, hunters are simple to learn and difficult to master. If you learn the tools at your disposal, that's the first step to becoming great :p Fizzlestix has the right idea.

Oakenlix is right about this as well - hunters excel when they can free-cast, more-so than other classes under some circumstances. You'd benefit from either being stealthy when you're alone and coming out of nowhere with your Aimed Shot crits, or from fighting behind a friend or two.

Edited by Raziya

Hunter ok 1vs1 against every class, bcz can outrange anyone except fire mages, but they isn't a problem for you, but 1vs2 hunter not so good.

1v2 not good? I disagree. Quite the contrary - hunters can take on two targets more easily than other classes. Traps, kiting, that Wyvern Sting sleep... 1v3 is even possible, though it's conceivably quite difficult, and partially dependent on enemy class composition, among other things.

21 hours ago, Fizzlestix said:

Funny, I have the exact opposite opinion on Paladins. My PvP experiences are limited to open world PvP up to level 40, but Paladins have usually been pushovers. Outside of their stun they don't have any ranged damage/CC/gap closer to keep you from kiting them, so all they really do is heal themselves until they're oom and then they die.

Pursuit of Justice, BLESSING OF FREEDOM, Eye for an Eye, Bubble, BoP.  Cleanse x infinity.

Paladins have lots of options too, you've probably only faced bad ones.

Honestly, I think that 31 pt ret builds aren't that great versus the Holy Shock/Eye for an Eye build, and most go for the LOLRET.  At least with holy you can take down kiters much more easily.

Hunters do have so many options though in terms of control, but PVP still comes down to the skill of both players in a fight.

Edited by Maez

If you have some skill - play MM/surv.

If you are shite and want to be skilled and kill ppl - play BM.

"were not so many good hunters." - you can see a good hunter once in a blue moon.

20 hours ago, фткyн said:

Hunter ok 1vs1 against every class, bcz can outrange anyone except fire mages, but they isn't a problem for you, but 1vs2 hunter not so good.

If he is not BM just cut his attack range. It goes perfect if you are a mage or a shaman. You don't allow him run away or use his scatter shot+trap combination (use your 7yrd distance limit) but do not come close to him because: 1) He can easily use his trap; 2) Melee huntard also does good damage.

P.S. Huntard is fine against 2 but everything depends on classes you fight against.

As people said earliere, it is a class easy to learn, hard to master.

I see Hunters in pvp as a class that have a huge set of tools, freeze trap to zone ppl out of, mana drain, and some of the best short bursts ingame.

Learning how to dps and viper stinging is ez. But when you start using every ability as your disposal it starts getting tricky, right from fd traps to scouting with eagle eye and learning how to use the map for the tracking. Spotting people with tracking in wsg, can allow you to kite them forever as a fc in the bases.

Your obviously extremly vulnerable in melee and have few tricks to get out, grouping up with a paladin will give you every Tool to survive and perform your role in pvp.

Scenario: You (BM) are caught by a rogue, and you either weren't standing on a freezing trap, or he resisted it.  He cheap shots you. He has every advantage.

His fast attack speed means you are permanently poison slowed. Get your pet on him immediately. When cheap shot expires, cast intimidation. You have to wait until he is actually stunned, it has a delay. Watch his debuffs. As soon as he's stunned, (cannot reapply slow) you trinket, strafe, hunter's mark, enrage pet.  You're at range now. He is going to spam vanish. You immediately flare, (or pre-flare). You're going to lose target, press your keybind for target last enemy. Pet attack. The whole time you're kiting, while watching your auto shot timer.

It all happens really fast and if you make a mistake you're dead. By the time he blinds and gets a kidney on you, he should be dead. This is where a rogue discovers that not all hunters are food. If he cheap shots and you're already standing on a freezing trap. You will humiliate him.

Scenario: You just witnessed a same level mage, and warrior gank someone. The mage is 30% mana, both are full health.  

You open with viper sting on the mage, enrage pet, intimidate and kill the warrior (lupos should destroy him) keep viper on the mage and watch him try to run away when the warrior is dead.  Those two classes, by the way, are your food.  

Train resistances to cc on your pet. Especially frost.

Scenario:  A hunter 5 levels higher than you attacks.

Send pet, intimidation... Get in melee range. If he hasn't used intimidation, Use one raptor strike/wing clip, and feign death. Hopefully he just scatter shot your pet. Don't get up until he has you targeted. Sit on his back and use your melee macro.  If he's marks, he dies and you're 50% health. If he's BM, cross your fingers, but you'll probably still kill him; he just shit a brick in his pants because he wasn't expecting you to thump him over the head like that. A full 2/3 of hunters who have tested me, WILL backpedal in this scenario. 

Scenario: Warlock ganks you. He has a blueberry.

He's got a full row of dots on you before you have him targeted, he sacs voidwalker, uses a health stone, and laughs over your corpse when you die and he still has 80% of his health pool. At higher levels, even if you gank him, he's probably going to kill you, even if you miraculously kill him first :D

Paladins, all you need to do is stay 20+ yards away and kite him to death. If you can't kill him it probably means you dont have lupos, or he's higher level, or has healing talents and you're going to end up with a stale mate. I've had paladins fight me for 5 minutes and then run away...  if they're higher level, or annoying I often let them go at that point.

You'll probably end up melee'ing mages, especially frost, and other hunters. If you're ganking, stay out of ranged-range and let your pet fight for you first.  If you're close enough to shoot, the enemy is close enough to charge in. (Druids/warriors) Only go in if he fights your pet. For druids, save your stun for when he pops out of bear to heal. Try to viper when he goes caster form. Scare beast when he's bear. Even if he comes out of bear to avoid the fear, you've still achieved something.

Priests can be complicated. It is very scenario dependent, but often you'll have to oom them to kill them. Don't be afraid to melee them just like if you were still playing your warrior. Stay behind him, and he can't cast on you.

Your melee weapons are NOT stat sticks while leveling. They're weapons that you need to know how to use. Keep the skill up. Get something that can proc damage, or a stun. (staff in ZF for example)

edit: Lol didn't realize I wrote a novel. My intention was to give you an idea of what pvp is for a hunter.  My qualifications are an extensive career as a hunter in retail classic and TBC. Nowadays I never attack unless provoked, so my experience is mostly against higher level opponents and tag teams. My world pvp record is near perfection. 1 player in 20 has been able to best me levels 30-59. I have never lost against a same level opponent with the exception of warlocks, and one extraordinary rogue against whom, I've learned the lessons posted above. 

In short 1-59 (maybe even 50ish) it's a noob class. Then imo it spikes up at 60 where it becomes a class that doesnt forgive easy mistakes.

Цитата

1v2 not good? I disagree. Quite the contrary - hunters can take on two targets more easily than other classes. Traps, kiting, that Wyvern Sting sleep... 1v3 is even possible, though it's conceivably quite difficult, and partially dependent on enemy class composition, among other things.

1x2 possible only if your opponents are too low geared/skilled and obviously rogue or mage better in 1 vs 2-3 opponents coz their DPS and CC alot better than hunter(you can't burst without control target, only source of improve your burst is class trinket from ZG otherwise your damage is too weak). Obviously engineering is absolutly must for a hunter.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:08 PM, Maez said:

Pursuit of Justice, BLESSING OF FREEDOM, Eye for an Eye, Bubble, BoP.  Cleanse x infinity.

Paladins have lots of options too, you've probably only faced bad ones.

Honestly, I think that 31 pt ret builds aren't that great versus the Holy Shock/Eye for an Eye build, and most go for the LOLRET.  At least with holy you can take down kiters much more easily.

Hunters do have so many options though in terms of control, but PVP still comes down to the skill of both players in a fight.

Incredibly false information you're spreading. Paladins are a free kill for any hunter with a brain who has room to kite.

Why? Aspect of the cheetah combined with a 41 yd range, 'nuff said.

Let's dissect your claims:

PoJ: is an 8% movespeed buff that doesn't stack with other buffs. It's basically a free boot enchant. Completely moot point, and even if it DID stack with boot enchant, it's less than cheetah's +30% (+36% talented) perma boost.

Blessing of freedom: it makes you tougher to slow. Doesn't matter, because hunters move faster than you and outrange you. Aspect of the cheetah.

Eye for an eye: Only works on spells. Do you even read tooltips? Hunters don't cast spells.

Bubble: You get to live an extra 12 seconds, cool. Doesn't slow the hunter. Doesn't teleport you next to him. Doesn't make you sprint... All it does is prolong the inevitable

BoP: See above. Prolongs the inevitable. Doesn't even work against lupos, arcane shot, serpent sting, etc., either.

Cleanse: Once again, just prolongs the inevitable.

Holy Shock: 20 yard range. Not 41.

Nothing in a vanilla paladin's kit lets him catch a hunter at range. Your ONLY hope is to sneak up behind the hunter and get in melee range before they notice. But even then... feign death, freezing trap, scatter shot, intimidation, wyvern sting...take your pick and good luck. Realistically you should try to run away to a teammate/town if a hunter is coming after you.

Hunters are super strong class that can either faceroll multiple people if you plan your engage or get wrecked in pathetic way if u're jumped. Hunter strength lies in playing your cards, hunters don't react well to getting ambushed. Ofc we can theorycraft about 1v1s forever... in my opinion hunter got a competitive chance against most classes although warlock/spriests are extremely hard to beat (if they know what they are doing). 

In world pvp... well its hit or miss really... depends who you decide to fuck with...  Sometimes you can 1v3 people cause they are confused/not pvp-centered but then next day you'll attack a group of 2-3 and you'll realize they are pvp veterans and use pots, consumables, all engi and gimmicky world drops (dusts etc) and you won't be able to fight them on your terms. That being said no matter how badly geared people you fight... if they manage to lock you down in cc and make home in your deadzone then u gonna die with a sense that you couldn't really do anything. But thats the case with every class... if you're master class warlock or shadowpriest if you gonna get chain cc'd and bursted by 3 people then u'll just die miserably without doing much. 

I myself being a r13 bis hunter love both playing organized pvp and solo. In organized pvp you really shine when you get dispels, bofs etc. With ranataki the on-demand burst can take mutliple classes offguard (i had tons of combos like aimed into double mutli with one or two autoshots in between that could rack up to 8k total dmg, the only class that seem resistant to this is geared resto shams with shield and ns). That is a thing many people underestimate that hunter that isn't carefully watched can act as a literal pom pyro mage but with mail, more range, faster and 8k hp reasonably buffed. 

For solo pvp... as I said circumstances in world change so fast that easy win can often turn into pathetic defeat because hunters weaknesses are many and sure u're dangerous but you need to tailor your decisions carefully otherwise skilled people will easily exploit those weaknesses. Its not actually 2006... in 2017 people know this game to the bone so don't expect to get those 1v5 wins that you know from pvp videos tho;p

About paladins tho... if we're talking about bis post-bwl geared hunter and paladin... paladin can use shield that deal dmg when struck (that ultimately kill the kiting line of play). There are also multiple spawnable creatures (ancient grimoire, barovs, battle chicken, engi dragonlings, yetis, aq tentacle) that can be used to interrupt hunter kiting. 

With post-bwl gear and utilizing all items in a game I'd say paladin got a fair chance... sure hunter can and probably will with enough planning kite a pala but no brained pala would just follow a hunter... especially that it would take ages to kill pala this way without being able to interrupt any heal (scatter shot, trap, granade aren't 41 range). Instead they'd los somewhere and start slowly dealing with ur pet or eat up. I'd say the only line of play that doesn't end up in 10min stalemate is having a hunter use death flayer to create a 5 stack poison buffer for his cleanse and try to oom him with viper but thats rather boring victory tbh. 

With that being said I think geared holy pala (using all possible gadgets and consums) is much more dangerous to hunter than other way around. In realistic environment that is.

On 2/20/2017 at 1:56 PM, Oakenlix said:

yes such bs about paladins. its impossible to reach the range of a hunter unless its a duel with limited room 

A lot of hunter in the past didn't know that baron rivendare's runeblade give health per 5. That health per 5 is increased by spell damage and healing. 100 spell damage will give you 20 hp per second. That's like 3 spirit bonds together. I have yet to try it out on the server, but this server is supposed to be Blizz like so I would think they would have it working.