Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dingo9109

How are Druids in world pvp?

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 I am starting fresh on Elysium with my RL buddy who is rolling Hunter and we're mainly interested in world pvp ganking and dungeon grinding. I have read some things about druids being underpowered in endgame raiding and being pigeon holed into going full resto if they choose to raid.  However, I'd like to know more specifically how well a "pvp specced" druid with decent gear does leveling up and can they hold their own in world pvp.  Are they so underpowered that they have a disadvantage in almost every possible pvp encounter?  Druids, please tell me ganking with a feral druid is as fun as i've been imagining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's fine but feral druid lacks the really high damage openers of rogue (imp. ambush) and the several second control/interrupt elements like cheap shot, kidney shot, blind and kick. This makes them quite bad gankers as it takes a while to kill people and most of that time they are running loose unleashing hell on the squishy you. You will also be royally screwed if a rogue catches you in cat or travel form. He'll waste you super fast.

It sounds like what you want is a rogue. Of course if you just stealth around in cat ganking lower level players druid goes just as well. It's also overall a decent class in pvp since it's pretty easy to run away from too hard encounters and stuff with the shapeshifting freeing you of roots etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd also add that you mana pool is very limited, you can't pvp at all till you have both "Natural Shapeshifter" and "Feline Swiftness". Feral Charge is also mandatory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you will not have the burst damage of a rogue or arms warrior or any other class in the game. remember, you are a healer, a tank and a dps at the same time. Feral is the way to go leveling up if you want to have no downtime. As for world pvp, you will do what rogues do: ravage cloth and leather (maybe even hunters for extra burst), pounce on plate + bleeds. remember, you are the only class that can run away from 3 or more enemies (even higher level than you) - beware of hunters (root them in place).

 

druid is the most fun class if you master it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2017 at 11:35 PM, Dingo9109 said:

Hello all,

 I am starting fresh on Elysium with my RL buddy who is rolling Hunter and we're mainly interested in world pvp ganking and dungeon grinding. I have read some things about druids being underpowered in endgame raiding and being pigeon holed into going full resto if they choose to raid.  However, I'd like to know more specifically how well a "pvp specced" druid with decent gear does leveling up and can they hold their own in world pvp.  Are they so underpowered that they have a disadvantage in almost every possible pvp encounter?  Druids, please tell me ganking with a feral druid is as fun as i've been imagining. 

Hi there, I recently abandoned my lvl 30+ mage and decided to try a druid. I don't care about what people say about druid this, druid that. I like having FUN per hour not listening to elitists. Been there done that. Check that guy's videos and builds:

Hope you like it. 

Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Druid is the ultimate grief ganker. You simply stay prowling until you catch some low health enemy. Then Starfire+moonfire spam.

If you face melee, nature´s grasp is your friend. root>starfire>root>starfire>win.

Travel form to get away. If things go rough, you dont have to stay and die!

You only have trouble against casters if you pick them with full health+cooldowns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29.8.2017 at 11:21 AM, Tronco said:

Druid is the ultimate grief ganker. You simply stay prowling until you catch some low health enemy. Then Starfire+moonfire spam.

If you face melee, nature´s grasp is your friend. root>starfire>root>starfire>win.

Travel form to get away. If things go rough, you dont have to stay and die!

You only have trouble against casters if you pick them with full health+cooldowns

The rank 13 mage who got destroyed over and over by him :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

damage and CC are vastly subpar to the ones rogues and warriors have. Rogues can stunlock, warriors can crit for 3-5k, while you can't neither of those. Perhaps boomkins will be fine with AQ release,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 feral with NG is good if u know how to play and u start with stealth.Rogue just bear and faire is ez.Warr always bear+ cc to get off heal.Mage is easy cuz of immunity to poly and slows.Shaman is easy unless they get multiple windfurys on u.Pala pretty easy cuz no cc.Hunters are a bit more tricky cuz traps and kiting so u must go full DoT dmg rather than ravage+FB etc..but still easy if u know how to get in range so they cant hit u with bow.Warlock is the only problem due to fear spam+seduce spam+deathcoil+Dots and u basically dead(Pretty much if u do this against any class they will die so nothing new) getting around this is magic dust+blacksmith fear protection trinket+chicken flee pet.

NS and resto is for beginners and ez mode similar to holy pala.Challenge and reward wise its feral.U get highest hp in the game and by a large margin.On top of this u have the highest crit compared to any other class(Around 35-40% and thats with no onyxia and very little consumables such as sharp stone , 25agi potion etc.. right now).Also highest stat multiplier due to heart of the wild.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You DON'T compare open world pvp druids to any other primary class. Comparisons in pve sure ... but ignorance drives comparisons in open world. Druids are very strong in open world pvp. It is their strength (along with perhaps flag running in WSG). 

 

A pvp druid plays nothing like any other class. It is a druid using all of it's abilities as one single form even when powershifting like mad. They aren't all powerful and have bad or challenging match ups. A feral typically eats a frost mage easily whereas a rogue has issues. A rogue is a warlock killer whereas a feral has issues. Druids are a hybrid class that plays a different meta than most others in vanilla Wow. Those who can't wrap their heads around it just spout the usual BS memes out of ignorance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tamanous said:

You DON'T compare open world pvp druids to any other primary class. Comparisons in pve sure ... but ignorance drives comparisons in open world. Druids are very strong in open world pvp. It is their strength (along with perhaps flag running in WSG). 

 

A pvp druid plays nothing like any other class. It is a druid using all of it's abilities as one single form even when powershifting like mad. They aren't all powerful and have bad or challenging match ups. A feral typically eats a frost mage easily whereas a rogue has issues. A rogue is a warlock killer whereas a feral has issues. Druids are a hybrid class that plays a different meta than most others in vanilla Wow. Those who can't wrap their heads around it just spout the usual BS memes out of ignorance. 

the problem with open world pvp on druids is, that they take ages to kill ppl. which is fine if you are rolling horde, but on alliance on this server its not that great.

 

i am obviously talking about elysium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2017 at 4:58 PM, Zak Preston said:

damage and CC are vastly subpar to the ones rogues and warriors have. Rogues can stunlock, warriors can crit for 3-5k, while you can't neither of those. Perhaps boomkins will be fine with AQ release,

5k? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, flowqz said:

the problem with open world pvp on druids is, that they take ages to kill ppl. which is fine if you are rolling horde, but on alliance on this server its not that great.

 

i am obviously talking about elysium.

It depends.Most people are resto and they go full dot which takes forever or HOTW/NS spec.

If u go full 31 feral , grab NG and furor u do alot more dmg but harder to get heals off due to no swiftmend or NS.

I have critted plate geared people with decent gear for 1.5-2k on FB(Even though u should use rip due to armor mitigation)

And around 2-2.5k on leather/cloth with FB so it isn't that bad but in cat form u don't have no cooldowns other than barkskin where as rogue and mages have cooldowns so u die pretty fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, suhail1200 said:

 

It depends.Most people are resto and they go full dot which takes forever or HOTW/NS spec.

If u go full 31 feral , grab NG and furor u do alot more dmg but harder to get heals off due to no swiftmend or NS.

I have critted plate geared people with decent gear for 1.5-2k on FB(Even though u should use rip due to armor mitigation)

And around 2-2.5k on leather/cloth with FB so it isn't that bad but in cat form u don't have no cooldowns other than barkskin where as rogue and mages have cooldowns so u die pretty fast.

catform is normally hard to pull of against melees unless they got shitgear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, flowqz said:

catform is normally hard to pull of against melees unless they got shitgear.

Why? Open with pounce > rip > run and moonfire and keep at range or swap to bear after rejuving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Why? Open with pounce > rip > run and moonfire and keep at range or swap to bear after rejuving.

you kinda answered your own question. That's "standard" opener for druid, as far as there is anything standard in pvp.

You don't stay in cat form and fight (as said) but swap away to bear and/or kite as formless.

Tho all the kudos to the person who manfights in catform any class and wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2017 at 2:21 AM, flowqz said:

the problem with open world pvp on druids is, that they take ages to kill ppl. which is fine if you are rolling horde, but on alliance on this server its not that great.

 

i am obviously talking about elysium.

Druid time to kill is just fine and combat tactics vary wildly per class. I kill sitting mages in 1 shot often. :)

 

As for the discussion about fighting in cat form it varies per spec obviously. Dedicated cat builds (dungeon/raid spec is just fine for pvp although you change your gear up a little) only stay in cat most of the time against clothies. It is a priority form against mages and any other form change is merely to break snare/roots. Even then it's about mana management so bear is for a stun, if even required, and using eng and other items is preferred. Also, never forget how hard a Feral's 2h mace auto attack can hit against cloth (dat's a lot'a Str behind it). Sneak in a swing when close waiting to eat a snare so you can get back into cat.

Pure cat form just means you specialize more against some classes and suffer a little against others. I prefer hybrid builds for pvp but am happy to stick with a more glass cannon cat build while hunting for pre-bis and bis items. Guess I'll have to get used to it again since I am leveling a new druid on Elysium now. Seeing how many shreds you can get in pvp is a nice litmus test to see who actually has skill out there ... and world pvp is a nice mix of noob through ace. The length of time some players let you powershift continuous shreds behind them in battlegrounds is hilarious.

I'm just trying to express my personal experience with the class. There is no real way to convince anyone who isn't interested in druid because how they do not fit into the typical "raid for gear sets" meta. I don't really get the low dps talk either. Sure at raid scaling it's not the best nor is meant to be but by the time I hit DM to finish off pre-bis I am doing 400+ dps which is more than typical pug dps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2017 at 1:31 AM, Tamanous said:

I'm just trying to express my personal experience with the class. There is no real way to convince anyone who isn't interested in druid because how they do not fit into the typical "raid for gear sets" meta. I don't really get the low dps talk either. Sure at raid scaling it's not the best nor is meant to be but by the time I hit DM to finish off pre-bis I am doing 400+ dps which is more than typical pug dps.

It is literally just the scaling that causes druids to fall behind. In pre raid BiS, you will do very similar if not out right beat other "pure" classes in pre-raid with a few certain items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2017 at 2:27 AM, Whitewolf said:

It is literally just the scaling that causes druids to fall behind. In pre raid BiS, you will do very similar if not out right beat other "pure" classes in pre-raid with a few certain items.

Indeed. I merely hear way too many spouting outdated information about vanilla druids especially in pvp. Live vanilla did not play out anything like emulator vanilla sitting at patch 1.12. Tons of class info from live vanilla never impacted emulators due to this mechanics baseline and thus wrong. Typical things are:

1. They are only good at flag running: NOPE. They are good at flag running because of the nature of the class. When you flag run, YOU DON'T FIGHT. A combat feral/hybrid still is very effective in more open areas like AB, AV and open world.

2. Feral damage starts to drop off at 50: NOPE.  It actually starts to pick up at 50 because the class is heavily dependent on talents and the good gear starts showing up then. Feral doesn't even exist really until lvl 20 and has tons of passive damage in talents much like shadow priests that you can only get at higher levels. If your damage drops off at 50, you lack the knowledge to properly construct a feral set and understand powershifting.

3. Rogue > Cat, Warrior > Bear: NOPE ... because druid isn't either/or,  it's Cat + Bear + Caster as one unit. If you are in bear form in pvp it's because your target already has multiple dots ticking that came from non-bear forms. Dps is all forms in pvp, not just one.

4. Feral is clunky: NOPE ... cause macros.

 

Raiding issues are real on many fronts but also full exclusion is typically only from hardcore raid guilds who won't deviate from most optimal strategies even though other functional strategies exist.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Whitewolf said:

Yep, ferals are great. They are especially good if you have paladin put JoW up to keep the power shifting going on longer fights.

Offer not valid on Red Side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×