hdnine

[POLL] Need vs Greed

[POLL] Need vs Greed  

43 members have voted

1. 1. When is it ok to need over greed?

• It's ok to need everything
    • You choose need for anything you use on your character OR in your professions
    • You ONLY choose need for armor and weapons you use on your character
    • You ONLY choose need for items you use in your professions
    • You should greed everything

I'm a veteran MMO player and have been playing them since back in 2003 and the way i have been thought is that, when in a group, you only need items that your present character can use as armor or weapons. This means no needing for alt characters or professions.

So yesterday I was in a group questing in an area full of elites where suddenly an uncommon item dropped. Since i'm an enchanter i felt that i really needed this item, even though my character couldn't wear it. I realize this goes against what i've been thought but enchanting in WoW is such a pain. After winning the need roll against another player, that other one asked why i needed that item. I explained to him for my profession. After a lot of name calling and referring to "common sense" by both him and the rest of the group, i was subsequently kicked out.

Now, this poll isn't about if i made the right judgement call -- but more a general question about the topic of NEED vs GREED and your thoughts about it.

Edited by hdnine

for me, i only need items when i need them, or when the person who needs the item is being a right cunt.

Everything else, even though i'm enchanter, i greed for

how about needing a green for your friend which is a bit lower level. in my case he is playing a warrior so whenever any green drops(especially weapon) I need in a heartbeat

Seems quiet obvious. 
You 'need' only what you really need for your current character - mainly armor, weapons or crafting recepies that fits the current character proffesion.
You may noot need every green item cause "you need for enchanting, though"

That, unless the group talks before the run and agree about other rules, of course. 

P.S: I didn't meant you can need everything you need for proffesions. I was mainly refering to crafting *recepies*. 

(would edit this in my first post, but somehow the option isn't here)

I chose the need for items/profession option but I agree that enchanters should only green items they don't need for their character.

Also with items for your character - you should only need for the spec you are using in the dungeon/raid.

Think that is fairly obvious and well known though..

I only need gear I can use or recipes I can use for a profession and always link my profession in group chat to show that I can actually use it. sometimes if I'm a enchanter I'll ask if it's okay if I need on green items but I'll only do it if the group is okay with it.....on the fresh server though I don't even bother asking because everyone is poor and could use the silver from selling the item at this stage of the game.

In a perfect world you would need on stuff you really need and can use. But needing on high value boe is pretty standard. Everyone needs the gold and blah blah. So to minimize the ninja posting and rage I would say need on everything boe! But I didn't vote for that cuz I wish everyone could just be friends and not greedy bastards. More love in the world of war!

"Also with items for your character - you should only need for the spec you are using in the dungeon/raid."

Or, should only need on your preferred spec and not for the one you're using in the dungeon/raid (if different).

i.e. if I'm a Feral Specced Druid and I'm healing in a dungeon, I need on agi/str stuff, but not int/spi stuff.

You need on gear that you will use on your character. This must be an upgrade. If you need it, you need it.

You can only need on gear for your main spec in that group. If you are speced shadow or feral, you cannot need on healing gear, for example.  A ret paladin cannot need on briarwood Reed for his holy set.  If you join the group as DPS, you can only need on dps gear. 

You can need on off spec gear if you clear it with the group first. "Do any healers need that or can I need on it for my healing set."

You need on profession recipes that you don't already have. 

Everyone rolls need on Traveler's Backpack no matter what. 

World drop epics and very rare items like Ace of Beasts, everyone in the group rolls need. This is because even if you legitimately need the item, the temptation is extremely high to not use it and just sell it. You may decide that the Darkmoon card is not worth giving up 600g or whatever the case may be. 

All of these rules can be modified through discussing it in advance with the others in your group. "I am joining as DPS but I want to roll on healing gear is that OK."

For all other drops, roll greed. 

They way your poll is worded is disingenuous. I almost clicked armor and professions until I got the underlying meaning behind where you were coming from. There was one time on nost where someone wanted to need on Living Essence because they could make crap with it. I was like, yeah no. You greed that same as all the other stuff like it that drops in dungeons. That's how people make money. I mean if we go down that road enchanters could need every single armor and weapon in the game, regardless of use. That would be moronically stupid.

One caveat is something like skin of shadow. They are almost entirely needed for just profs but they can be for enchants too so that's something to discuss. But it's BoP nature means that yes, crafting should have some level of priority because of it.

7 minutes ago, taladril said:

There was one time on nost where someone wanted to need on Living Essence because they could make crap with it.

i dont think he meant that. by "needing on professions", i assume ppl mean recipes and stuff

11 hours ago, TheHappyCatsTail said:

this is somewhat of a no brainer for me. if you need the item you roll need. if you are being a greedy little fucker you roll greed. that INCLUDES professions. but rolling need on greens cause you are an enchater falls into the category of "greedy little fucker"

Dude your explanation is the best so far... I could not have said it better. Claps to you Sir.

Yours truly Shakgrot

11 minutes ago, taladril said:

Did you read his first post? He wanted to need on a piece of armor because he was an enchanter.

no im a lazy fag. sorry, youre right. so i voted wrong, so did many, i guess.

im OK with ppl needing on recipes and alike for their professions, but needing on "resources" for such is wrong, only greedy little fuckers would do

25 minutes ago, Henceforth said:

it is your opinion. But don't put names on people that do that, they are not doing anything wrong. I am openly saying how do I play on pugs. If you don't want that, play only with your guildies then.

That blue BoE that dropped is not your gear, it is gold on auction house. Everyone needs gold, not only you. I you win, great, you won xx gold and you can decide whether to equip it or to sell on AH. If you don't win, do not whine around. man up.

I'll put a name on someone who rolls need on a BoE they don't actually need - ninja looter. You do that in my group and I'll SS and put your user name on the forums. You can say I'm wrong and I'll say you're wrong but we'd let the community decide on that one.

Also it's ok to need on rare BoE blues and freaking expensive recipes, just because some guy has leveled some profession doesn't give him right to need recipe to make profit and take 100g worth thing from me :D

This has never been an issue for me. It's your proffession, It's part of your character, you roll need, anyone who disagrees is a moron, since they aren't an enchanter, they won't be using it, you will.

4 minutes ago, Seronys said:

This has never been an issue for me. It's your proffession, It's part of your character, you roll need, anyone who disagrees is a moron, since they aren't an enchanter, they won't be using it, you will.

Once again, just because you are enchanter or alchemist, doesn't give you right take 100g worth recipe. because later, when I ask you to make me a flask or enchant, you will ask for tips as well. ;)

1 minute ago, EffToyz said:

Once again, just because you are enchanter or alchemist, doesn't give you right take 100g worth recipe. because later, when I ask you to make me a flask or enchant, you will ask for tips as well. ;)

theres like 2 recipes like this, fiery and crusader, yes it would be common sense to say guys im chanter,  can I roll need before rolling need on those because it's so rare or stating thats what you need before it drops and getting it cleared up. This guy is clearly talking about some 75 skill +1 garbo enchant that no one should be getting mad over.

7 minutes ago, TheHappyCatsTail said:

This isn't rocket science guys. If you are going to use the item, roll on it. If you are going to sell the item because you like gold, don't. 

Disagree. I mean, if I play with my guildies or friends, and I know everyone is respect loot rules, it's ok. But when you get random scrub who needs on some valuable item (and later you see this item on AH for 150g posted by this scrub), I'm usually saying "... it!" and roll need. I mean BoE gear, recipe, trade goods or gems ("I'm engineer, I need this to craft!")

I would need recipe for profession on current toon and did not care about rage.

Greens? Anyone can have alt with enchanting and not every drop is an upgrade so you always end up with few greens from dungeon.

Blues? If noone needs and it would waste I would go for it or even better - agree upon start that you'll need for dis and share shards. That worked great for me for many years on retail.

I also have to state that on retail and on another private server I leveled enchanting while leveling enchanter and even made money on it instead spending gold to level it so I'm not very sympathetic to Enchanting being harder to level than other proffessions.

Rgs, B1

On 11.1.2017 at 9:47 AM, TheDruidCode said:

In a perfect world you would need on stuff you really need and can use. But needing on high value boe is pretty standard. Everyone needs the gold and blah blah. So to minimize the ninja posting and rage I would say need on everything boe! But I didn't vote for that cuz I wish everyone could just be friends and not greedy bastards. More love in the world of war!

"Needing the gold" is just greed, nothing else.

Some kind of a rule I learned in raiding guilds on retail (WoD / Legion): If someone rolls need on a boe, he has to equip the item immediately to bind it.