Dhralla

Dhralla's Hunter Guide

1GmHrn5.jpg

Greetings to both my fellow underlings… er, hunters and anyone else visiting this thread, welcome to the Hunter Tactics and Strategies corner of our forums! There are hunters among us, who are new to Vanilla and may be unaware of the fact that gameplay mechanics have undergone many substantial changes, as the game developed to whichever expansion you might have played in the past. And so I've decided to begin with explaining the basics – you can read here about the proper build, spell rotation, you'll be able to find here a list of pre-raid BiS, as well as a list of regular enchants (and how to get them) and required raid consumables and much more.

I went through many hunter Vanilla guides while writing this, but I didn't get the impression that the majority of them is correct at all. You can find the list of the sources below.

I'm gonna keep this thread updated, feel free to leave any comments here or contact me in-game / on discord anytime for any questions.

Covered so far:

• Hunter Stats & Conversions
  • Hit & Crit Cap calculations
  • PVE Builds for current raiding content
  • Spells, Cycle & Rotation
  • Pre-raid BiS items
  • Enchants
  • Raid Consumables & Buffs
  • Professions
  • Solo Hunter Epic Quest – How to get your Rhok'delar, Longbow of the Ancient Keepers (see Dhralla's Ultimate Leaf Guide)

Coming soon:

• Pets
  • Macros & Addons

HnbB4hA.jpg

Hunter is a unique class, as the only one in the game deals ranged physical damage. This fact is also reflected in how hunters benefit from individual stats and how the stats convert – which will differ alot from both melee physical damage dealers and spell casters.

Primary stats benefit hunters in the following order: agility > stamina > intellect > spirit > strength.

Agility

• increases attack power with melee weapons by 1 and ranged weapons by 2 per point
  • increases critical strike chance by 0.0189% (0.0217% for SV spec) per point @lvl60 (1% critical strike chance requires 53 agility or 46 for SV spec)
  • increases dodge by 0.0377% (0.0444% for SV spec) per point @lvl60 (1% dodge requires 26.5 agility or 22.5 agility for SV spec)
  • increases armor by 2 per point

Stamina

• increases health points by 10 per point

Intellect

• increases mana pool by 15 per point
  • increases chance to criticaly hit with spells
  • increases the rate at which weapon skill improve

Spirit

• increases health regeneration while out of combat
  • increases mana regeneration while not casting („not casting“ refers to „five second rule“, which means whenever mana is expended for any purpose, mana regeneration is interrupted for five seconds)

Strength

• increases attack power with melee weapons by 1 per point

Among the secondary stats that are beneficial to hunters belong: attack power (or ranged attack power), hit chance and critical strike chance. Attack power is the stat that increases dps the most – both, white attacks and most special abilities scales with it so it basically translates into raw dps. For a deeper overview of the other two important secondary stats pls check separate section below (Hit & Crit Cap). Whereas some of our abilities scale with spell power (e.g. Arcane Shot, Serpent Sting, Traps), we also benefit from it, but since those abilities do not participate in your dps, you don’t have to worry about having zero at all.

Which stat to stack depends on several factors, mostly on your current value of individual stats, because some stats are subject to the caps (namely hit chance and critical strike chance, see separate section Hit & Crit Cap below). Priority should be given to the hit chance until reaching the cap (9%) and agility should be prioritized over attack power, in terms of 10 agi > 21 ap. The additional critical strike rating from agility will increase your dps more than the attack power and the profit is getting bigger, the more agility versus attack power we compare. Here is also worth mentioning that agility, unlike attack power, is influenced by buffs that increase stats by %, for instance Spirit of Zandalar. Regarding preference for attack power or critical strike rating, there is no uniform conversion, because the profit from attack power is affected by your current dps and the profit from critical strike rating is subject to the cap, or rather „diminishing returns”. To determine how much attack power corresponds to 1% crit, check this Excel sheet – the table on the left shows by how much every additional 1% crit increases your dps; the table on the right shows attack power conversion to % increase in dps – you can adjust the calculation by changing the value of your current average dps in the yellow highlighted cell.

For overview, these are the approximate hunter agility equivalence points (stat conversions):
1 agility = 2 ranged attack power
53 agility (46 for SV spec) = 1 % critical strike chance, 106 ranged attack power
14 ranged attack power ≈ 1 DPS

naWT7T1.jpg

Secondary stats that require special attention are hit chance and critical strike chance. These stats are very important to hunters and both of them are weighted down by reaching the cap at some point. For a more detailed explanation, read the following paragraphs.

Hit chance & cap

Ranged attacks cannot result in a parry, dodge or glancing blow, which means that ranged attacks can only hit normally, crit, miss, be blocked or result in a crushing blow (NPC only). Unlike other physical damage classes, hit cap for hunters is the same for both auto attacks („white damage“) and special abilities/shots („yellow damage“). Since missing an attack results in the greatest dps loss, reaching the hit cap should be priority no. 1 for every raider. There are several ways of increasing your hit chance – mainly through gear, then enchants (ZG enchants – Falcon's Call, see Enchants section), a scope (Biznicks 247x128 Accurascope, see Enchants section) and last but not least, your talents (Surefooted, see PVE Builds section). But what exactly is the hit chance and what specific amount is needed?

Hit chance decreases the chance to miss and in PVE its‘s determined by the difference between player‘s weapon skill and the target’s defense skill. In addition, the effect is not linear and there are actually two different formulas built in the Elysium open source code (see /src/game/Objects/Unit.cpp; line 3077-3130):

line 3083: Base miss chance is set to 5%.

float missChance = 5.0f;

line 3101: skillDiff is weapon skill minus target’s defense skill (gives negative value when target’s defense skill is higher than player’s weapon skill).

int32 skillDiff = int32(GetWeaponSkillValue(attType, pVictim)) - int32(pVictim->GetDefenseSkillValue(this));

line 3106-3107: If skillDiff is higher than 10, use code on line 3107 for missChance calculation.

else if (skillDiff < -10)
missChance -= (skillDiff + 10) * 0.4f - 2.0f;       // 7% base chance to miss for big skill diff (%6 in 3.x)

line 3108-3109: If skillDiff is less than or equal to 10, use code on line 3109 for missChance calculation.

else
missChance -=  skillDiff * 0.1f;

This means that the calculation depends on the actual difference between player‘s weapon skill and the target‘s defense skill. The above equations can be expressed as follows:

[1] If the difference between player‘s weapon skill and target‘s defense skill is > 10, then the formula for calculating base miss chance is:

missChance [%] = 7 + (defense skill – weapon skill – 10) * 0.4

[2] If the difference between player‘s weapon skill and target‘s defense skill is ≤ 10, then the formula for calculating base miss chance is:

missChance [%] = 5 + (defense skill – weapon skill) * 0.1

If we take in account base weapon skill, i.e. 300, applying these formulas gives us base miss chance 5% against lvl 60 mob (applying formula [2]) and 9% against lvl 63 mob (boss), (applying formula [1]). Note that the above applies to ranged / 2H melee weapons, considering melee dual-wielding, there is additional 19% miss chance penalty, which gives 24% and 28% miss chance, respectively.

Considering troll (or dwarf) racial bonus, that is additional +5 weapon skill to bows (guns), base miss chance against lvl 60 mob remains unchanged, i.e. 5% (applying formula [2]), but against lvl 63 mob (boss) it‘s only 6% (applying formula [2]). If you don’t like playing troll / dwarf and still want that badass hit cap reduction, you might be interested in items with +ranged weapon skill, but note that you won’t find such kind of gear among the end-game pieces. You’ll find the list of those items bellow.

As already mentioned, the calculations of the hit (or rather miss) chance is not linear, but it’s dependent on the actual difference between player’s weapon skill and the target’s defense skill. This means that adding the same +weapon skill amount at different actual weapon skill rates, won’t result in the same miss chance reduction. For a better overview of the miss chance against lvl 63 mob (boss), i.e 315 defense skill, according to the current player’s weapon skill, see the following table:

C4fcpQu.jpg

gear with +ranged weapon skill:

Stoneshatter (Dire Maul West – Prince Tortheldrin)
Flawless Arcanite Rifle (Engineering crafted)
Sash of the Grand Hunt (BRD – Emperor Dagran Thaurissan)
Trueaim Gauntlets (LBRS – Shadow Hunter Vosh'gajin), (note that this item has undergone stats and quality changes in patch 1.10 so if you’re after it, check what version corresponds to the patch you’re currently playing on)
Marksman Bands (BoE Dire Maul East Drop)
Infernal Trickster Leggings (Maraudon – Lord Vyletongue)

Crit chance & cap

Critical strike chance is a secondary stat which improves your chance to get a critical strike with melee and ranged weapons. In general, physical critical strike refers to 100% bonus damage (twice your normal damage) that occurs as a result of an attack. Since a large majority of hunters use 5/5 Mortal Shots talents, which increases ranged weapon critical strike damage bonus by 30%, the resulting bonus is even greater, namely 130%. Besides that, critical strike chance appears on gear as a separate stat, it‘s also increased by agility, where you gain 1% for every 53 agility points (note that base critical strike chance from agility gives you 5%). We also have 5/5 Lethal Shots talents, which increase critical strike chance with ranged weapons by 5%. If we put all this together, we can come to the calculation of „soft“ crit cap. „Soft“ because unlike the hit cap, it’s not a fixed value in the sense that you’ll still benefit from additional critical strike chance even after reaching the cap, but the profit will be more and more negligible. For a better understanding, see the following table and chart:

bzAG9N8.jpg

As the „soft“ crit cap we define the point where additional % of critical strike chance will increase your dps by less than 1%. You can see that the „soft“ crit cap is around +24 – 25% critical strike chance and if we take in account the bonus from 5/5 Lethal Shots talents, it will leave us with only + 19 – 20% critical strike rating required from agility / critical strike chance as separate stat to reach the cap. Beyond that point, you should focus on stacking mainly attack power.

Even though the default Vanilla Character Info in Vanilla doesn’t display your current critical strike chance, you can still check it out in the Spellbook & Abilities, in General tab, upon mouseovering the Attack ability (note that the tooltip doesn’t show Lethal Shots bonus, since it’s ranged only), or use one of those stat enhancement addons.

Regarding hit and crit chances, there is very important note Blizzard made in August 2005:

„The way WoW calculates crit rate is over ALL attacks. Crit rate is not based on hits only. In other words, if you have a 5% crit rate, that 5% chance includes misses.”

The post made by Thundgot, Blizzard English Community Manager, also contains other important information about crit rate adjusting and critical strike in relation to defense:

„All crit rate adjusting abilities, items, and talents add the flat % to the base % crit rate. So if I have a 5% base crit rate and then use an item or talent that increases that crit rate (let's use Improved Backstab talent for example - +30% crit), my new crit with backstab is 35%.

Regarding how defense decreases the rate of critical strikes, each point of defense that a target has over the attacker, the attacker loses 0.04% chance to crit. So, for example, if a level 60 Rogue is attacking a level 60 Warrior who has 25 defense, the rogue's crit rate will be decreased by 1%.”

And also for a better understanding of how the chances are added together, there is another interesting knowledge here how the hit chance is subtracted from the miss chance:

„+toHit items subtract from your miss%.

So, ignoring all defensive actions (Block/Parry/Dodge/etc..) if I have 20% crit chance, 20% miss chance, and 60% hit chance and I equip an item that gives me +5% toHit and +5% crit, my stats become 25% crit, 15% miss chance, 60% hit chance.

New hit chance = (Original hit%) + (toHit modifiers) - (crit modifiers)
60% + 5% - 5% = 60%

New crit chance = (Original crit%) + (crit modifiers)
20% + 5% = 25%

New miss chance = (Original miss%) - (toHit modifiers)
20% - 5% = 15%”

itfy81p.jpg

Basically, there are two viable hunter builds for raiding: MM/SV 2/31/18 (or rather 5/31/15 – explained below) and BM/MM 20/31/0. BM/MM is theoretically capable of giving higher damage output as long as your pet is able to dps, but since that is not always an option – we have our pets dismissed / on passive during raid encounters, either to prevent them from interfering with tactics, or simply to prevent them from dying, I prefer the former choice of talents.

MM/SV 2/31/18:

8wLH5Yz.jpg

2/5 Deflection (Increases your Parry chance by 2%.): Those are just points needed to be spent to unlock the 3rd tier, if you wish, feel free to go for 2/5 Imp Wing Clip instead.

2/2 Savage Strikes (Increases the critical strike chance of Raptor Strike and Mongoose Bite by 20%.): Useful while we're “melee hunters” e.g. on Lava Surgers in MC / High Priest Thekal in ZG.

4/5 Survivalist (Increases total health by 8%.): As long as there is no viable dps option I highly recommend to get increased health over Clever Traps / Imp Wing Clip, because it gives you better survivability, which implies, surprise… higher overall dmg output and lesser stress on healers. If you feel like you are able manage just fine, feel free to go for the alternative talents mentioned above.

1/1 Deterrence (When activated, increases your Dodge and Parry chance by 25% for 10 sec.): Just great utility spell, comes handy in some situations (e.g. at High Priestess Jeklik while you “tank” her Screech ability and you're on low hp, you have better chance to survive one of the charges when Deterrence activated). With how the talents align, there really isn't a reason to not have it, unless you're autistic and obsessed about filling talents to 5/5 and just have to have max out Survivalist.

3/3 Surefooted (Increases hit chance by 3% and increases the chance movement impairing effects will be resisted by an additional 15%.): Absolute necessity until you get enough hit for the cap (9%) from your gear. You lose a lot of dps on misses, moreover you don't wanna miss utility spells e.g. Tranquilizing Shot. There's a separate chapter on hit cap calculations (see Hit & Crit Cap section), but to put it short: just get hit capped or be banished to the depths of dps-meter lists. And be glad you don't have to bother with glancing blows like the melees have to :D.

Zul'Gurub Important note: Any hunter, participating in ZG raids: I don't want you to use the Entrapment talent (Gives your Immolation Trap, Frost Trap, and Explosive Trap a 25% chance to entrap the target, preventing them from moving for 5 sec.). The reason is following: we are supposed to use Frost Trap to slow down + kite around the Withered Mistresses, they must not be prevented from moving, otherwise they (which would in fact mean you) wipe our melee folks and then you answer to me. Non-hunters reading this (haha, you have no life if you read this) pls just don't use immobilizing stuff on those thrash mobs (mages don't use Frost Nova on those packs etc.)

I think most of the talent choices are obvious and don't really need any explaining, if you have any questions feel free to ask in-game / on disc anytime.

MM/SV 5/31/15:

Rpmql9B.jpg

Once you have enough hit chance from your gear to reach the hit cap (9%), you should drop Surefooted talents and put those into Imp Aspect of the Hawk for better dps output. So, the simplest method commonly used is that you basically just move those 3 talent points between Surefooted / Imp Aspect of the Hawk to accommodate your hit chance needs.

BM/MM 20/31/0:

0eYjKJB.jpg

If you can control your pet well and want to keep him up most of the raid time, you might wanna go for this hybrid BM/MM build. Then I'd recommend taming ZG Serpent over Bloodaxe Worg because in that case you'll want your pet to actually do dmg and Serpent does definitely more dps than Bloodaxe. I prefer to keep my pet on passive during raid times because otherwise he dies so very often from aoe and ends up not doing any dps anyway. With the 5/31/15 build and Bloodaxe you can just keep his Furious Howl ability up all the time and keep him on passive, at least that's what I do.

Note: If you go for this build be sure to max up fire resistance on your pet to keep him alive. (Btw, since our main content is MC/BWL atm., I recommend to get FR for Bloodaxe as well, but we're gonna discuss this in the pet thread later.)

There are some other viable builds that are supposed to have good dps output as well, e.g. MM/SV 0/21/30 (Lightning Relfexes, Killer Instict talents), which however require certain requisite to become advantageous, like stacking certain amount of agility. If anyone is interested, we can discuss / make some research about this later.

It should be considered at least one of the guild hunters taking 5/5 Improved Hunter's Mark instead of 3/3 Hawk Eye for increased dps of all the hunters, especially in the 40-man raids. Obviously, effect of presence of this talent in the raid group scales with the number of ranged physical dps = hunters, so it can be negligible if there are only a few hunters, but strengthens the more the more hunters there are. Also it should be noted that Hunter's Mark has by default the lowest accepted raid debuff priority (16th debuff – you can't add more debuffs on any target, this should be clear), and as such gets substituted with other more usable debuffs on some encounters, if that's the case, don't use it.

HBkbUbw.jpg

Spell Books:
In Vanilla, not all the spells can be learned from trainer, but some skills (or maximum rank of some skills) have to be learned from spell books. This includes Tranquilizing Shot and with the 1.9 patch coming out also Aspect of the Hawk, Multi-Shot and Serpent Sting:

No! – Serpent Sting
You won't use Serpent Sting. Ever. Well, almost. Unfortunately Serpent Sting doesn't make it to the list of 16 default raid debuffs, which means you won't get to use it in your normal rotation. At least you'll enjoy it all the more when you can use it at Ony's flying phase and a couple of more encounters, but by default, don't use it.

No! – Arcane Shot
In terms of dpsing, just don't use it, except in one of those rare encounters when you need specifically magic damage – it deals arcane damage and so bypasses armor, but can be resisted. It shares cooldown with Aimed Shot and doesn't scale with attack power, which makes it mostly unusable. You can still use it for kiting or pulling (especially rank 1 for its low mana cost – 25 mana or 22 mana with 5/5 Efficiency), so don't go and remove it from your keybinds right after reading this.

Yes! – Auto Shot, Aimed Shot (and Multi-Shot)
As you might have already noticed, Auto Shot cooldown passes while you‘re casting Aimed Shot (which is the ability contributing most to the damage output), which means, that you want to cast Aimed Shots between white attacks so you don't clip your Auto Shots. I'm going to make a little detour here to explain ranged weapon attack speed. It should be apparent that you want your ranged weapon to be as slow as possible. The idea behind this is following: consider the 3 second cast time of the Aimed Shot, obviously, the faster the ranged weapon you use, the more Auto Shots are being clipped (the majority of ranged weapons will clip one Auto Shot, some extremely fast bows can even clip two). So, using simple mathematics, the ideal attack speed of a ranged weapon would be 3.45 (if you consider 15 % increased ranged attack speed bonus from the Ancient Sinew Wrapped Lamina epic quiver) to hypothetically not clip your Auto Shots while casting Aimed Shots at all, but you'd need perfect timing to make use of it.

To maximize your dps you should watch your Auto Shots and start casting Aimed Shot right after your Auto Shot launches so that you synchronize Auto Shot – Aimed Shot rotation and avoid any delays, that would cause longer breaks of Auto Shooting than needed. The Aimed Shot is helping you in syncing the Auto Shots, but it's your job to time the Aimed Shot itself. It might take you some time to perfect the timing, but at the end you'll be able to intuitively determine when to start casting Aimed Shot. The best way to learn the timing for casting Aimed Shot is to listen to the sound of the Auto Shot arrow being fired and start casting Aimed Shot right at that time. The Auto Shot animation takes some time to perform so just watching your character might result in incorrect Aimed Shot cast timing.

Another dpsing ability you want to use is Multi-Shot (ofc always watch for polymorph, sleep,...). So, if you put it all together, the ideal cycle (with 3.45 attack speed ranged weapon and 15 % increased attack speed from quiver) would take 9 seconds and it would look like this:

0 s: Auto Shot + Aimed Shot cast start
1 s: (Aimed Shot cast)
2 s: (Aimed Shot cast)
3 s: Aimed Shot + Auto Shot + Multi-Shot
4 s: –
5 s: –
6 s: Auto Shot
7 s: –
8 s: –
9 s / 0 s: Auto Shot + Aimed Shot cast start

Cooldown of Aimed Shot takes 6 seconds so it fits the cycle just right. A little problem is with Multi-Shot which cooldown takes 10 seconds. That means that in the second cycle you'll cast Multi-Shot at 4 s instead of 3 s and so on. After few cycles you'll get to the point where Aimed Shot and Multi-Shot cooldowns ends simultaneously. At this point you should always prefer Aimed Shot over Multi-Shot.

Hunter’s Mark
Hunter’s Mark is by default considered the lowest (16th) accepted debuff priority, mainly in 40-man raids. It should be kept in mind that the effect of this ability strengthens the more the more hunters are present in the raid group. For that reason, one of the raid hunters should have 5/5 Improved Hunter’s Mark to maximize all raid hunter’s dps – in that case leave applying Hunter’s Mark on targets to this hunter.

Rapid Fire / Berserking (trolls) cooldown management
Since attack speed buffs (Rapid Fire, Berserking, Improved Aspect of the Hawk) affect Aimed Shot cast time, there is no reason to not cast Aimed Shots when attack speed buff is up. You want to use Rapid Fire / Berserking together with your pop trinket (if you have any), usually at the beginning of the fight (always wait for 5 Sunder Armors at bosses), unless you need to save your cooldowns for a specific boss phase / mechanic. Using Rapid Fire / Berserking early gives you the possibility to use them multiple times during an encounter depending on the fight duration.

Utility spells (e.g. Tranquilizing Shot, Viper Sting)
You won’t definitely use these abilities on regular basis, but in some encounters, your team will rely on them. In terms of Tranquilizing Shot, you’ll be asked to use it to remove enrage, for instance, from Magmadar or Chromaggus. Because missing Tranq Shot in situations like this can lead to wipe, I recommend to use Tranq Shot announcer addon to keep a better watch over your misses. Viper Sting comes handy, for example, in AQ where it helps warlocks control Moam’s mana pool.

Traps
An inseparable part of hunters are their Traps. You won’t definitely use them on regular basis, but at those times when aoe slowdown / kiting is needed (e.g. at Withered Mistresses packs in ZG) don’t be afraid to use your Frost Trap. Also another nice CC ability, Freezing Trap, comes handy for example in situations when there isn’t enough mages for sheeps – keep in mind that a good hunter always watches over his timers, for both, primed and triggered traps, to make the best possible timing for re-traping target via FD (also note that there are useful macros for FD + trap trick which will make it all even easier – see Macros & Addons section).

For Bloodaxe Worg users: Furious Howl (FH) buff management
Just to be clear, FH gives an extra (flat) 45 to 57 damage to next physical attack of your party members – that means that it doesn't matter if you buff you Aimed Shots or Auto Shots. If you're using a Bloodaxe Worg be sure to keep FH buff up all the time. There is one annoyance with FH you should be aware of: if you receive the buff while an arrow is already in the flight, the buff won't affect the shot at all and will disappear from the hunter without any effect (the shot counts as your next attack but does not get buffed by FH, i.e. a shot must be buffed before it's cast / launched). So, in the mentioned case you'd just waste your pet's FH cooldown. Considering this, you shouldn't use FH during shot casting but you should instead wait for for the moment when Aimed Shot and Multi-Shot are both on cooldown and just buff your Auto Shots (but don't forget to wait until the previous shot hits the target). There is a functional macro for that but I'll get to that in more detail in the Macros & Addons chapter.

!Don't forget to watch your KTM and use FD anytime you‘re high on threat!

Don't use FD/drink up, when you go OOM during encounters. Better just keep up doing white damage or use Mana Potions / Demonic(Dark) Runes + bandages / whatever instead! Sitting and drinking will drop your dps the most.

H1PPmZH.jpg

Here's a list of pre-raid hunter BiS items. I've highlighted one of the possible and quite easily obtainable items of choice that fit with 2/31/18 build. You should always keep in mind that it's important to adjust the gear composition to your needs, generally speaking, with pre-raid BiS you should always focus on reaching the hit cap.

Helm:
Backwood Helm (reward from The Treasure of the Shen'dralar quest)
Crown of Tyranny (Stratholme Live – Balnazzar)
Mask of the Unforgiven (Stratholme Live – The Unforgiven)
Eye of Rend (UBRS – Warchief Rend Blackhand)

Neck:
Mark of Fordring (reward from In Dreams quest)
Will of the Martyr (reward from Aurius' Recogning quest)
Imperial Jewel (BRD – Emperor Dagran Thaurissan)
Emberfury Talisman (UBRS – Pyroguard Emberseer)

Shoulders:
Truestrike Shoulders (UBRS – Pyroguard Emberseer)
Black Dragonscale Shoulders (Leaterworking crafted)

Back:
Cape of the Black Baron (Stratholme UD – Baron Rivendare)
Stoneskin Gargoyle Cape (Stratholme UD – Stonespine)
Shadow Prowler's Cloak (UBRS - General Drakkisath)

Chest:
Savage Gladiator Chain (BRD – Ring of Law)
Ogre Forged Hauberk (Dire Maul North – Tribute run)
Nightbrace Tunic (UBRS – Solakar Flamewreath)
Bloodsoul Breastplate (Blacksmithing crafted)

Bracers:
Slashclaw Bracers (LBRS – Halycon)
Bracers of the Eclipse (Dire Maul West – Prince Tortheldrin)
Blackmist Armguards (UBRS – The Beast)
Deepfury Bracers (BoE World Drop)
Marksman Bands (BoE Dire Maul East Drop)
Primal Batskin Bracers (Leatherworking crafted)
Bracers of the Stone Princess (Princess Theradras – Maraudon)

Gloves:
Devilsaur Gauntlets (Leatherworking Crafted)
Skul's Fingerbone Claws (Stratholme – Skul)
Voone's Vice Grips (reward from Warlord's Command quest)
Black Grasp of the Destroyer (Blacksmithing crafted)
Bloodsoul Gauntlets (Blacksmithing crafted)

Belt:
Marksman's Girdle (LBRS – Urok Doomhowl – summoned at Urok's Tribute Pile by combining Omokk's Head with Roughshod Pike)
Sash of the Grand Hunt (BRD – Emperor Dagran Thaurissan)
Girdle of Beastial Fury (BRD – Ring of Law - Eviscerator)
Frostbite Girdle (Scholomance – Ras Frostwhisper)
Cloudrunner Girdle (LBRS – Quartermaster Zigris)
Warpwood Binding (Dire Maul West – Tendris Warpwood)

Legs:
Leggings of Destruction (Dire Maul North – King Gordok)
Devilsaur Leggings (Leatherworking crafted)
Blademaster Leggings (UBRS – The Beast)

Boots:
Windreaver Greaves (Scholomance – Kirtonos the Herald)
Pads of the Dread Wolf (LBRS – Halycon)
Swiftwalker Boots (BRD – Princess Miora Bronzebeard)
Black Dragonscale Boots (Leatherworking crafted)

Ring:
Blackstone Ring (Maraudon – Princess Theradras)
Tarnished Elven Ring (Dire Maul North – Tribute Run), (note it's not unique)
Painweaver Band (UBRS – General Drakkisath)

Trinket:
Blackhand's Breadth (reward from For The Horde! quest)
Royal Seal of Eldre'Thalas (reward from The Greatest Race of Hunters quest – Dire Maul book)
Devilsaur Eye (reward from The Green Drake quest)

Ranged Weapon:

Bow:
Ancient Bone Bow (Scholomance – Lord Alexei Barov, Lady Illucia Barov, Docotr Theolen Krastinov, Lerekeeper Pokelt, The Ravenian, Instructor Malicia)

Crossbow:
Stoneshatter (Dire Maul West – Prince Tortheldrin)
Carapace Spine Crossbow (Stratholme UD – Nerub'enkan)
Bloodseeker (reward from Hero of the Frostwolf AV quest)
Blackcrow (LBRS – Shadow Hunter Vosh'gajin)
Heartseeking Crossbow (BoE World Drop)

Gun:
Dwarven Hand Cannon (BoE World Drop)
Core Marksman Rifle (Engineering crafted)
Flawless Arcanite Rifle (Engineering crafted)
Crystal Slugthrower (BoE drop from Chest of Spoils, reward from Abyssal Scepters quest)

2H Weapon:
Barbarous Blade (Dire Maul North – King Gordok)
Warmonger (BoE World Drop)
Arcanite Reaper (Blacksmithing crafted)
Dreadforge Retaliator (BRD – Emperor Dagran Thaurissan)
Frenzied Striker (BoE World Drop)

1H Weapon:
Assassination Blade (BoE World Drop)
Tooth of Eranikus (Sunken Temple – Shade of Eranikus)
Krol Blade (BoE World Drop)
Heartseeker (Blacksmithing crafted)
Scarlet Kris (BoE World Drop)
Mirah's Song (reward from Kirtonos the Herald quest)

NEPrjNT.jpg

Helm: Falcon's Call (+24 ranged attack power, +10 stamina, +1% hit chance) – ZG enchant
Shoulders: Zandalar Signet of Might (+30 attack power) – ZG enchant
Back: +3 agility
Chest: +4 to stats
Bracers: +9 stamina / +4 mana every 5 seconds
Gloves: +15 agility (for pre-raid BiS items it's just fine to stick with +7 agility)
Legs: Falcon's Call (+24 ranged attack power, +10 stamina, +1% hit chance) – ZG enchant
Boots: +7 agility / minor run speed
Ranged Weapon: Biznicks 247x128 Accurascope (+3% hit scope); it's just fine with Sniper Scope (+7 dmg scope) till you get your Rhok'delar, Longbow of the Ancient Keepers (don't forget to adjust your gear / talents once you get your +3% hit scope so you're not overhitcapped)
2H Weapon: +25 agility
1H Weapon: +15 agility

(let me know if you can't find any +3% hit scope engineer / +25 agility enchanter, I can give you a reference)

How to get ZG enchants:

Helm / Legs enchant: Falcon's Call
required reputation with Zandalar Tribe: friendly
required items: 1x Arcanum of Rapidity, 1x Punctured Voodoo Doll, 1x Primal Hakkari Stanchion

required items for Arcanum of Rapidity:
1x Libram of Rapidity (random drop in Dire Maul, or just buy from AH)
1x Pristine Black Diamond (random drop from lvl 55+ instances such as Stratholme, Scholomance, UBRS, LBRS, Dire Maul, or just buy from AH)
2x Large Brilliant Shard
2x Blood of Heroes (can be found at: 25.9, 74.6; 27.3, 64.2; 59.3, 62.3; 64.7, 65.3; 49.1, 35.3; 33.6, 32.6 in EPL and at 49.7, 33.3; 52.4, 55.0 in WPL; respawn time takes 2 hours)

Once you have all the items for your Arcanum of Rapidity, go to Dire Maul Library (you need Crescent Key to get there or someone who can open it for you) and turn in the Libram of Rapidity quest to Lorekeeper Lydros. In order to be able to obtain this quest, you must complete the Elven Legends quest first (starts at Sage Korolusk in Camp Mojache).

Punctured Voodoo Doll can be obtained from Jinxed Hoodoo Piles in ZG (or you can just buy one from AH – note it's not BoP) and Primal Hakkari Stanchion drops from several of the bosses in ZG.

Once you've got your Arcanum of Rapidity, Punctured Voodoo Doll and Primal Hakkari Stanchion, you just simply turn in those for your Falcon's Call enchant at Zanza the Restless. This NPC is located in ZG, at the top of one of the pyramids, directly behind The Venom Pit.

Shoulders enchant: Zandalar Signet of Might
required reputation with Zandalar Tribe: exalted
required items: 15x Zandalar Honor Token

there are two ways of obtaining Zandalar Honor Tokens:

Once you've collected all your Zandalar Honor Tokens speak to Rin'wosho the Trader at Yojamba Isle in STV and turn them in for your Zandalar Signet of Might enchant.

I8H1itC.jpg

Bringing consumables and other buffs for every raid night should be an integral part of every raider’s practice. Not only does it greatly increase your dps, but particular encounters require specific consumables to be popped in order to increase your survivability during the fight. This predominantly includes magic resistance potions so I recommend to pay close attention to „Raid Specific Consumables“ section. The alchemists have alot of juicy (I’m aware of the fact that often unfortunately expensive) stuff to offer, so until your inventory doesn’t overflow with consumes, you’re not prepared enough.
The following list contains pretty much all the consumables & buffs you wanna bring to raids with your hunter. If we take in account the large number of possible options, the fact that some buffs override one another and, of course the way our stats scale, we should prioritize the buff effects in the following order: agility (or attack power) > stamina > intellect > spirit > strength.

Note that the said amount is only rough estimate and is intended to last for one raid night. Also note that this list corresponds to the current game version (on Anathema server), i.e. 1.9. and it will be updated as new patches comes out.

You can find the link for even more detailed list here – some alternative options are mentioned there together with the list of materials needed for individual buffs and few other notes.

Consumable Buffs:
Elixir of the Mongoose x10
Spirit of Zanza x1
Juju Might x15
Gordok Green Grog x15
Ground Scorpok Assay (not required)
Crystal Force (not required)

Food Buffs:
Grilled Squid x20

Weapon Enhancement:
Lesser / Brilliant Mana Oil x2 (i.e. 10 charges)

Battle Consumables:
Major Mana Potion x10
Major Healing Potion x10
Major Rejuvenation Potion (not required)
Heavy Runecloth Bandage x20
Demonic (soulbound) / Dark Rune x10

Raid Specific Consumables:
Zul'Gurub:
   Greater Fire Protection Potion x2
Onyxia's Lair:
   Greater Fire Protection Potion x2
Molten Core:
   Restorative Potion x2
   Greater Arcane Protection Potion x2
   Greater Fire Protection Potion x4
Blackwing Lair:
   Swiftness of Zanza x1
   Greater Fire Protection Potion x20
   Juju Ember (not required)

Ammunition:
Thorium Headed Arrow / Thorium Shells

Other:
Pet Food (e.g. Roasted Quail) x20

mbEpPeW.jpg

Even though it doesn‘t have to look like this at first glance, selecting the proper Primary professions is associated with your class and it will affect your gameplay alot. Facing the fact that most of the raiding hunters usually find a suitable safe place and FD immediately after they hear their raid leader call: „Wipe it.“ on Disc, this sense for finding a safe spot became more of an automatic reflex. The capability to resurrect other raid members (or rather res the resser), in such situation, gives your raiding team a great advantage. It shows that a clear choice for your Primary profession should be Engineering and through it the potential to use Goblin Jumper Cables or Goblin Jumper Cables XL trinkets. By using one of those you can not only bring to life one of your healers after a wipe, but you can also „combat-res“ one of your fallen comrades. This is done by double-FD – first to switch the trinket slot to the Cables and the second one to be able to use them (you can notice the tag „Cannot be used when in combat“). Even though there is a separate Macro & Addons topic, I’m gonna drop simple macro for „Cables Combat Res“ here:

/script a=IsControlKeyDown() if(a)then CastSpellByName('Feign Death') PickupContainerItem (0,1) PickupInventoryItem (13) end
/script b=IsAltKeyDown() if(b)then CastSpellByName('Feign Death') UseInventoryItem (13) end
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Ctrl-clicking the macro will cast FD and equip the Cables from your inventory to your trinket slot 1; double Alt-clicking the macro will cast FD and use the Cables; ctrl-clicking the macro again will cast FD and re-equip your default trinket. Note that in order to make this macro work, your Cables have to be in the first slot of your backpack.

Another advantage of being an Engineer are undoubtedly Flame, Ice and Shadow Reflectors and last but not least, the ability to craft your own Bullets / Arrows. Regarding the Engineering specialization, I’d choose based on which location you prefer for the extra teleport – pick Goblin for transporter to Everlook or Gnomish for transporter to Gadgetzan. When choosing, I’d take into account several facts. Your Hearthstone most probably leads to Kargath, so Everlook transporter remotely replaces your „default Hearthstone“ to Orgrimmar. In my opinion, generally more usable option is the other one, because transporting to Gadgetzan gives you the opportunity to shorten your travelling time to Silithus, where you‘re gonna spend most of your time these days.

Choosing the second Primary profession leaves basically two options – Herbalism or Leatherworking. If you’ve already gone through consumables section, you’ve noticed that participating in raids is quite expensive business. Prefering Herbalism as your second Primary profession will help you alot in this. Hunter with Herbalism is just the best combination for Maraudon gold farming runs – FD gives you great advantage of bypassing most of the NPC’s which will make the runs super fast (especially with Aspect of the Cheetah on). And with Herbalism, the possibility to pick Ghost Mushrooms on your way makes your runs even more profitable. The other possible option here is Leatherworking for a simple reason – to be able to craft your own pre-raid BiS, i.e. Devilsaur set or Black Dragonscale set. Therefore when choosing your Leatherworking specialization, go for Tribal or Dragonscale. Also note that with Tribal you are able to craft Hide of the Wild, which is a quite high in demand cloak for healers, so you can also earn some extra gold in this way.

In terms of your Secondary professions, since you can grab all of them and there are no class-exceptions or special class-combination profits, I’m gonna make just a brief note here. As a raider, you’re supposed to skill up especially First Aid (to be able to use Heavy Runecloth Bandages). Skilling up the other two, i.e. Fishing and Cooking is up to you, but being able to fish and cook your own stuff saves you alot of gold.

AkzAj4h.jpg

How to Hunter by Buexx

How2Huntard by Sorono

The Arrow And You by Cruzix

Vanilla PVE Hunter Guide by guy_from_sweden

Hunter Agility Equivalence Points Formula? threat on Elysium Project forum

Vanilla WoW Wiki – Hit threat about hit cap calculations on Vanilla WoW Wiki

Stat and damage questions by Thundgot, Blizzard English Community Manager

Nostalrius Pre-BiS Lists by Kurthos

ZG Enchants and You by HoloDarksbane

A big thanks to my boyfriend for all his valuable advice and especially for grammar correction :-*

Wow, yet another thorough hunter tutorial just after the Rhok one? You are brilliant, Dhralla! Thank you for compiling all this useful information.

Amazing guide, keep it up!

I would like to just report a few things that you might want to fix or look into:

1) 10 agi < 21+ AP, if you're not survival specced, because virtually any number of AP is better than the additional crit from agi

Sorry, but you are saying that 1AP is better than 0,19% crit which I absolutely cannot agree with. That's just pure crap.

2) No -> Get + % hit chance until you are (9%)

Having 9% hit cap at all times will very likely decrease your dps than increase it. From my experience 5-6% hit on thrash and 9% on bosses is optimal. I don't know if the servers are set badly, but I miss like max 10 shots in whole MC raid with 5% hit.

3) I disagree with the MM/BM talent tree and your " max up fire resistance on your pet to keep him alive" at least from MC perspective

Your pet mostly dies on cleave from bosses or giants and that's physical dmg. I have tried stacking fire res and it's garbage, it just doesn't work well. Therefore you should go for max armor, then stamina. For talents get Thick Hide and Imp. Revive Pet. That way even if your pet dies in fight, you can have him ready for next thrash pack in a few seconds without huge mana loss.

4) "Don't put Arcane shot of your skillbar"

When the mob is low on health and you know you will not be able to finish your Aimed shot, you should use Arcane shot instead to maximize your DPS.

5) Why do you prefer Carapace Spine Crossbow over Bloodseeker? I have no idea. Bloodseeker is literally better in every aspect. It's easier to get, it has same speed, but better both low end and top end dmg and also has more agility. 

6) Consumables : Elixir of Agility or Scrolls of Agility don't stack with Elixir of Mongoose, at least on Elysium server. You will always get only +25 agi. Elixirs shouldn't stack, but Scroll and Elixir should afaik. Therefore a possible bug here.

7) You can easily earn 100+ gold per hour in Maraudon. 

I don't know what you are doing there, but I am able to farm Mara runs 3 bosses on reset instance cooldown and I have to be VERY lucky with drops to get even 50g per hour. I have picked up Herbalism recently and didn't try with it yet, but unless you get 8+ stacks of Ghost Mushrooms per hour, then it's obvious misinformation.

Anyways really good job, I agree with 99% of this guide. These are just my two cents.

"10 agi < 21+ AP, if you're not survival specced, because virtually any number of AP is better than the additional crit from agi"

You need to think about BoK and ZG world buff as well. Agility is worth more then your statement.

About the rotation, i heard many things about "full" and "clipped" cycles. You don't speak about that?

Nice guide btw

Missing 2 better types of ammunition. Missing Fiendish Machete in 1H weapons. Missing Juju Strength for the pet.

Great guide! I've been looking all over for an in depth discussion of ranged hit/crit/weapon skill math. And grats on Elysium sharing it on their Twitter :p

2 hours ago, Rafale said:

About the rotation, i heard many things about "full" and "clipped" cycles. You don't speak about that?

Nice guide btw

That basically depends on how fast your weapon is. Usually when your weapon is faster than 2,8 you will always want to clip your shots.

First of all, I’d like to thank you for all your reviews and comments and also I’d like to apologize for the delayed response – a lot of rl events going on so I’ve been very busy lately. Based on your suggestions, I’ve corrected the following in the guide:

@Shaze
1) I must admit that I made a fundamental mistake in considering the benefits of agility and attack power. In my calculations, I‘ve mistakenly compared 1 agi (= 2 ap and 0.0189% crit) versus 3 ap, i.e. 0.0189% crit vs 1 ap, when the ap gives actually better % increase in dps (even in the crit most profitable area, that is from hypothetical 0% crit -> 0.0189% crit). 0.0189% crit increases dps by 0.0246%, 1 ap increases dps by 0.0286% if we consider the average dps 250. But here I didn’t take into account that the more agi versus ap we compare, the bigger is the profit from agi and the smaller the effect of ap.

2) It is stated in the guide that the 9% hit cap refers to the player‘s target with 315 defense, i.e. boss. Most of the thrash is lvl 61-62 which sets the hit cap to 6%, so it’s true that 9% hit is unnecessary here and switching those 3% hit on thrash will definitely increase your overall dps. But given that you’ll need 9% hit for the boss fights (and the boss fight should be taken into account the most), I consider 9% hit to be the cap.

3) It’s true that on thrash pet usually dies due to physical damage rather than magical. But during the boss fight (and again, the boss fight should be taken into account the most) the situation is usually different, and that most of the aoe damage is magical (which for MC and BWL means fire, for AQ nature).

4) I’ve never told to remove Arcane Shot from skillbar – actually, I’ve said the exact opposite: „don't go and remove it from your keybinds right after reading this”. I definitely agree that in many situations Arcane Shot is a useful ability, but I think we all agree not to use in terms of dps.

5) With regard to the pre-raid BiS list, the reason why I prefer Carapace Spine Crossbow over Bloodseeker is that Carapace Spine Crossbow gives you better stat composition, that is 4 agi + 9 sta, versus 7 agi + 8 str (where the stregth gives more or less nothing). It also seems to me that for someone, Carapace Spine Crossbow could be easier to obtain, because you’ll have to run Strat shitload of times to get Cape of the Black Baron anyways. Both the xbows are comparatively good and both ofc are the best pre-raid BiS ranged weapon slots – that’s why I’ve stated: „I've highlighted one of the possible and quite easily obtainable items of choice” in the guide.

6) I’ve revamped the consumables list according to the current stacking – scrolls have been removed since those really don’t stack with elixirs here.

7) With regard to Mara runs, actual earnings depend on many factors such as server, patch, population and AH rate, so I agree that putting a specific value here is somewhat misleading.

@Sanders
It’s true that hunters profit more from agi than from ap and if we consider ZG buff, agi becomes even more profitable.

@Nitsujcm
The calculations result mostly from the code, and the information stated has also been verified according to the Vanilla WoW Wiki, that is actually listed in the sources.

If you find any other discrepancies, feel free to leave a comment below and I’ll be looking forward to discuss the upcoming topics.

17 hours ago, Dhralla said:

First of all, I’d like to thank you for all your reviews and comments and also I’d like to apologize for the delayed response – a lot of rl events going on so I’ve been very busy lately. Based on your suggestions, I’ve corrected the following in the guide:

@Shaze

Thank you for your response!

All valid points from your side.
I still think winning 1 AV will be faster than getting the Carapace xbow though. Also you shouldn't need the extra stamina most of the time, but it can be valuable in some encounters.

Great guide and compilattion in general, especially for less experienced hunters, thanks for making it.

There are several points on which i disagree in the guide itself and in the comments below. I will quickly adress some of those.

- i also do find FR being very important in MC (as well as shadow and arcane res) - your pet couldn't survive Magmadar/Golemagg w/o FR, same goes for Ragna, for example. Sending pets to be cleaved is just not a right approach i think - keep it with you on Destroyers in MC for example. And on cleaving mobs send it from their back.

- arcane shot is very good when you have to move and are unable to cast aimed, keep that in mind and use it. good example is Onyxia p2 or any other situation where you need to reposition. personally, if i understand that my aimed/arcane CD is up and i have to move like less than 2-3 seconds (depends on your weapon and cycle position at that moment) - i save CD then, if i have to move for more i use arcane.

- serpent sting is definetly usable in BWL on dig dragonkins and Chromaggus when they are nature vulnerable

- having one hunter waste points to get 5/5 imp mark is not good in my opinion - that means not having 3/3 slaying or sacrificing 9% crit chance of your pet in exchange for 9 RAP for everybody (which in T1-T2 gear should translate into ~0.25-0.3% dps increase for each hunter present).

- i totally disagree with RAP/Crit interpretation and find the presented data not on point. Quick explanation:

assuming T2 gear + Ash + full raid buffs (excluding world buffs and Expose Procs cause i don't have data on ther uptime; RWS and armor are ignored here because they both affect your damage as a static multiplier), thorium headed arrows, hunters mark on the target and 20/31/0 build full cycle damage is:

(1.195*RAP+1919.9)*(1+1.3*Crit)       (1)

this comes from adding up 3 autoshots, 1 aimed and corresponding coefficient for multi-shot  (i use 0.91 for Ash, but that's not exactly correct). In that conditions a troll hunter has 1720 RAP and 27.4% crit, from that and the formula (1) follows that full cycle damage is

(1.195*1720+1919.9)*(1+1.3*0.274)   (2)

From formula (2) it's easy to calculate an increase in RAP and Crit which will bring about a 1% total cycle damage increase and equate RAP to Crit after that. Long story short - approx. 1% crit = 32 RAP => 1 Agi = 2.6 RAP.

Let's make a qualitative analyses:

It is obvious now that RAP doesn't affect all of hunter's damage output as you state - on the contrary, it affects only about half of the damage output. This rises from your wapon having it's white damage, you projectiles as well and having raw +damage on both your dps shots - 600 on aimed and 150 on multi. At the same time crit does affect all of hunter's damage.

What is also apparent from the formulas (1) and (2) is that relative effectivness of RAP and Crit increase depend on the current ammount of both these stats you have. For example, lets imagine that you have 1720 RAP and, i don't know, 3000 RAP and same 27.4% crit. In the case with imaginary 3000 RAP an increase in 46 RAP will bring about a 1% damage increase, while an increase in crit chance of 0.7% will also bring about a 1% damage increase. That means that in that conditions 1% crit = 65.7 RAP. As you can, with increasin your total RAP the value of RAP compared to crit chance rapidly diminishes. What follows from that is that there are no "crit caps" or anything like that. In each specific situation one has to find and equation between RAP and Crit and from that make decision on which piece of gear is better and so on ^^
In the example above 3000 RAP could seems like a far-fetched fantasy, while if you consider 1720 RAP in T2-level gear and then you add up an expose weakness proc and an Earthstrike activation + possibly coupled to some world buff (DM for example), you will find yourself having around 2600 RAP ^^

That means, for example, that you could switch rings/necks in accordance with trinkets you use/going to use in the near future and so on.

Raiding Consumable list:
Booze: +10 or 15.
Fish: 25 STA, 6 or 8 mana regen.
Zanza: +50 STA/SPI. (Does not stack with Blasted Lands potions.)
Mongoose: 25AGI/2 crit. (Does not stack with other AGI elixirs or any AGI scroll.)
Health potion: Major Rejuv or bandages. (Major HP is generally not recommended as it shares a CD with protections while doing less)
Oils: +8. If it's not enough, then just dual wield 2 charges.
Mana potion: 900-1,500, stackable up to 5. I don't mean superior. I mean combat from PVP vendor.
Mana rune: Another 900-1,500. (Does not share CD with other potions, but shares with Healthstones.)
Food: Alterac Manna Biscuit. Not much reason to buy anything else.
Ammo: Thorium. No contest.

Things not to use:
Jujus are a waste on a Hunter unless you have low fire resist. You're much better off just selling furbolg/giant eko and putting the gold towards other things. Major manas are also stupid, and even superiors are a waste vs combat pots or mana oils. If you want to save more money, you could also skimp out on booze, as another 10 or 15 STA won't change much. For ammo AV is a waste vs thorium. Those are china bullets for their 5 hour long field of strife turtles. Blasted Lands potions have no purpose unless you can't get zanza. Scrolls have no purpose unless you don't want to pay for a AGI potion. Flasks are probably the biggest waste of gold, and should be the last thing you ever consider using. There's no flask for AGI, crit, or even AP, and you can already get enough HP or mana from everything else.

В 10.07.2017 в 02:32, Drain сказал:

Raiding Consumable list:
Booze: +10 or 15.
Fish: 25 STA, 6 or 8 mana regen.
Zanza: +50 STA/SPI. (Does not stack with Blasted Lands potions.)
Mongoose: 25AGI/2 crit. (Does not stack with other AGI elixirs or any AGI scroll.)
Health potion: Major Rejuv or bandages. (Major HP is generally not recommended as it shares a CD with protections while doing less)
Oils: +8. If it's not enough, then just dual wield 2 charges.
Mana potion: 900-1,500, stackable up to 5. I don't mean superior. I mean combat from PVP vendor.
Mana rune: Another 900-1,500. (Does not share CD with other potions, but shares with Healthstones.)
Food: Alterac Manna Biscuit. Not much reason to buy anything else.
Ammo: Thorium. No contest.

Things not to use:
Jujus are a waste on a Hunter unless you have low fire resist. You're much better off just selling furbolg/giant eko and putting the gold towards other things. Major manas are also stupid, and even superiors are a waste vs combat pots or mana oils. If you want to save more money, you could also skimp out on booze, as another 10 or 15 STA won't change much. For ammo AV is a waste vs thorium. Those are china bullets for their 5 hour long field of strife turtles. Blasted Lands potions have no purpose unless you can't get zanza. Scrolls have no purpose unless you don't want to pay for a AGI potion. Flasks are probably the biggest waste of gold, and should be the last thing you ever consider using. There's no flask for AGI, crit, or even AP, and you can already get enough HP or mana from everything else.

Why don't you like Grilled Squid? Best hunter food out there (10agi). Just plan ahead and fish lots of them for summer-time.

Also, i don't agree about L buff (Ground Scorpok Assay). It's OP i believe ^^, it gives you damage while 500 HP from Zanza is very good, you don't always need those (especially for MC/BWL when you farm them). I usually buff up in DM+Felwood, then HS to Kargath, fly to Stonard, take 1 Scorpok, pop it, take another one and move to ZG island where i log out till the raid time. That way i have Scorpok up for 6 or 7 of BWL bosses (if you clear fast you could have it for all 8).

Also, i don't agree about mana potions (i play on Darrow, so can't really tell the difference 2 oils will make). But i prefer to always stay on the safe side and never go OOM, so i use Major Pots and Runes when needed (requires you to predict the fight duration and the ammoount of mana you would need). If i just need a bit of mana, i use Superiors or Combat pots, yeah.

Jujus are great imo. When feeling rich i use AP jujus on pet as well. FR jujus are nice for some bosses. I also use Agi scrolls (3 or 4) on pet, those give him a bit of crit (also only when im feeling rich lol).

But if you are limited with time/gold, then i'd go with what you recommend except for food buffs (Nighfins cost the same as Squids on Darrow usually).

1) GL getting squids. I never see them when I fish. I get a full stack of 15 STA booze and still no squids. Probably because it's a winter fish and we're in the middle of summer.
2) With zanza, 50 STA makes more sense than 25 of a single stat. There's almost no fights where you don't take damage. It's also twice the duration, and persists through any deaths. Literally no contest here, and you go to the island to buff anyway, as opposed to having to make pointless laps to Blasted Lands to farm beasts.
3) Use whatever mana potion you like. I listed the most money efficient options. It's also why I list the 8 oil instead of the 12. The 12 costs so much more that it's not worth it. I didn't list the best possible thing you could use. I listed what makes the most sense.
4) Jujus don't matter at all on a Hunter because you already get 2x AP from AGI. It makes more sense to sell them to the melee. But again, use them if you want. Since I regularly farm/sell eko, I thank you for keeping their prices up.

В 24.07.2017 в 06:06, Drain сказал:

1) GL getting squids. I never see them when I fish. I get a full stack of 15 STA booze and still no squids. Probably because it's a winter fish and we're in the middle of summer.
2) With zanza, 50 STA makes more sense than 25 of a single stat. There's almost no fights where you don't take damage. It's also twice the duration, and persists through any deaths. Literally no contest here, and you go to the island to buff anyway, as opposed to having to make pointless laps to Blasted Lands to farm beasts.

Yeah, had to stuck up on squid before april. They are gonna be back in october or november.

Well, i do agree that for progression zanza is def better than BL buffs. For MC/BWL farm i don't really need more HP.

Given the Mortal Shots bonus, isn't it always better to go for crit rather than hit? You gain more from a crit (+130%) than you lose from a miss (-100%). I don't see why it is particularly necessary to max out hit.

For example, if I have a 100% hit chance and 15% crit chance, I would on average do 119.5% of normal damage (0.15*230% + 0.85*100%).

If I traded 5% hit for 5% crit (95% hit chance and 20% crit chance), I would expect to do 121% of normal damage (0.20*230% + 0.75*100% + 0.05*0%).