AzAMOuS

So, let's talk about the population diminishing

Disclaimer: locking this discussion shows that you do not want the community to discuss this subject and that would not look too good for you.

Now, we've all seen it and there's no denying it. The question is, what happens now?

The Nostalrius community has been split into pieces. The population Elysium first garnered has started to slowly crumble away, even today Zeth'Kur has gone down slightly in population, reaching lows of 800. Anathema is crashing consistently and throwing out 'nasty SQL errors', it is also now only holding between 4000-5000 in active population.

Elysium, the middle sibling, the most hyped server, is now only reaching between 6500-7500, I know this is still 'alot of players' but that doesn't change the fact it has decreased from a substantial amount; it garnered 12000 and had an active queue.

It does not really matter how many new developers or projects you merge with, I mean, the server could possibly reach seriously great levels; but to continue your 'dreams' about the 'vanilla movement' (which I consider delusions) you have to do something about the bleeding population. Losing <NOPE>, even if you had a personal feud with either of their guild members (as a player), was a great loss for Elysium-Project, they were the leading Alliance guild on Anathema, correct me if I'm wrong.

People are leaving everyday, people are giving up on the private server scene. So, what is going to be done about it?

I propose a merge between Zeth'Kur and Elysium. They are both on the same patch. If you want to play with a population of lower than 100 then there are other servers out there for you. The 'vanilla movement' is supposed to gradually increase in population, not suffer severe bleeding and traumatic events. Although this solution does not solve the overall issue, it will at-least increase the population of Elysium.

Thoughts?

Edited by AzAMOuS
although this solution...

People have been playing vanilla for two years straight now. It's no surprise that population is decreasing post hype. Especially with all the autistic drama that took place a short time ago. What should have happened was that there should not have been a fresh server or a fresh fresh server but just pvp and pve. Zeth will have to be merged with Elysium someday because their pop is so low. Anathema needs aq soon or else we'll be seeing sub 2k numbers within weeks.

Elysium will see a decrease in population as more and more people will raid log for mc. It's only natural. There's just not enough content.

You're never going to see a large bump in population on vanilla servers ever again. Nostalrius was the peak. People are starting to grow up and move on. The median age for private server players is what? 28? There's no new blood. 

Edited by Lifealert

I suspect the "autistic drama" to be the main reason for a decline, together with a natural end of the hype.

There are also many other small reasons like upcoming spring, new games and server instability as well as other issues like gold spam, the atmosphere and so on.

My prediction is, that we will see a rise of population on Anathema after AQ launch. I also guess that Darrowshire will slowly grow at some point again, because there is no alternative for PvE gamers.

The whole ZethKur dilemma is sad and deep in our hearts, we always knew that it was only a temporary solution for a peak in population.

If I ponder over the future, then I come to the conclusion that after Naxx release and progress raiding on all servers, they will most likely merge Elysium and Anathema if population decreases heavily.

Edited by Mahtan

no diminishing, everyone is coming back  - hellground is shut down.

And no, servers are not low populated, not a single one of them. We are doing just fine

You have to realize why population diminishes:

1. People get tired of the game and take a break. This is a natural process.

2. People leave because of no new content. Most of them will return after "release" on the next patch, like Dire Maul on Elysium and  ZK.

3. Some people came to Elysium because of hype and they didn't expect Vanilla WoW would be so "uncomfortable": lots of grind, no QoL features and so on.

4. Some people (a very small total percentage) left because of "drama-lama".

5. Some people leave because their friends leave. This is the exact case of ZK. 

While Elysium-PvP is fine, ZK and Darrowshire may really need some kind of intervention: introduce 2x XP weekends or double honor weeks... Enable Recruit a Friend program or something like this.

3 hours ago, AzAMOuS said:

The 'vanilla movement' is supposed to gradually increase in population, not suffer severe bleeding and traumatic events. Although this solution does not solve the overall issue, it will at-least increase the population of Elysium.

Not sure why people believe this to be true, especially in such a niche private server scene with a rather ridiculous community. The numbers the servers put up at the beginning were never sustainable and never will be, which is why there always seems to be a new server opening up giving people the chance to restart. There isn't any new content we all haven't done before, if any server even last long enough to release anything past BWL. 

The numbers on Elysium/Anathema are still huge, it's like people forgot that not too long ago the most populated vanilla server we could play on would be lucky to break 1k total people. Now we're panicking at 2-7k people on? c'mon now

Well the combined population in peak time of every realm together is between 14k-20k (as in 7k elysium, 6k anathema, 2k darrowshire, and 1k zek), which is around the same peaks old nost had.

I don't think we are loosing that many players in comparison with old nost. Sure, the first 4 weeks since anathema/elysium launched we had a peak of over 21k players, but that was just the hype of a chunk returning to the old nost and the other trying to get a heads start in the fresh realm, its just that people are spread around 4 different realms.

Edited by Dralek

People are leaving because they don't like vanilla. They got so used to being baby fed in current retail that they can't handle it. There was big hype when nostalrius was closed and elysium project took over and now it's dying down so a drop in numbers is expected.

Im currently playing on zeth and yeah, having 800 people online is a bit shit when you can't find anyone to run a dungeon with but I am still against a merge with elysium because 7000 people is way too many people on one server. I'd like to see more people on zeth, around 2500 would be ideal. 

Edited by Jack Mage

I donno. The other day there was 21k players online on the servers. That's more than Nostalrius ever had on it's 2 realms.

Maybe the recent drama and downtime have reduced the numbers but 3-5k on Anathema and even more on Elysium seems pretty optimal playerbase on one realm if you ask me.

I am blessed with total ignorance in these matters and is happy as long as I can log in and have fun ;)

Elysium, the middle sibling, the most hyped server, is now only reaching between 6500-7500, I know this is still 'alot of players' but that doesn't change the fact it has decreased from a substantial amount; it garnered 12000 and had an active queue.

Elysium's population has been stable since I started playing about a month ago, and it's still way too overpopulated. Sounds like more baseless drama.

55 minutes ago, Zak Preston said:

While Elysium-PvP is fine, ZK and Darrowshire may really need some kind of intervention: introduce 2x XP weekends or double honor weeks... Enable Recruit a Friend program or something like this.

Dont see why you have to drag darrowshire down with you, its the only server that have had a pretty stable population since the initial hype died down. 3,2k on sunday is a very good number for a pve server. The amount of raiding guilds have even increased lately.

Rebirth, another private server tried that many times during the years and it never helped. In general it only upsets the playerbase and I would suggest to skip that failed idea alltogether :)

I am hearing from many people, lots of people - I have many many friends on this server, on the server Elysium - I am hearing from them that there is a very very sharp decline in the number of people playing on their servers. I am here today to speak to the Elysium people directly, without the twisting and lying of the media, and I am here to tell you, the people of this great server, that yes your population is shrinking but it is not for bad reasons.

No it is not for bad reasons - that's true. It's true - the recent decline in population is at least in part due to our extended efforts to take our continent back. As you know, I have started a movement since January to rid the Eastern Kingdoms continent, specifically the lowbie zones of Elwynn, Westfall, Redridge, Wetlands, Dun Morogh, and Loch Modan, of all night elf lowbies who are invading our lands as level 1, level 2, running for up to an hour across the Wetlands to enter our starting areas.

They come in with lots of problems and they steal our quest mobs, they steal our resources, and they steal our spots in groups. They're noobs, they're keyboard turners, and some, I assume, have played WoD.

But we have clearly been succeeding in persuading them to at least stay on their own continent of Kalimdor, or better yet, quit the game entirely. So I am here to reassure you that while you may see the population in numbers being decreased, that many of those leaving were harming our community anyway.

@RealTrumpnado

Edited by Trumpnado

4 hours ago, Lifealert said:

Custom content generally upsets the playerbase. 

Not that it upsets really... if its well designed and thought in and out (with economy, balance, STABILITY in mind). The main issue with custom content tho is that it makes investing time dangerous. Like we all know how vanilla is right? Terrible time sink, to achieve anything you need to spend ages but then again you have a bigger goal in mind... as an example you get all the consumables and nature resi gear for AQ but then majority of community complains that AQ is hard so what do you do? Make custom tweaks than make it so less NR is required to be "safe". This makes things too easy and pisses off those that prepared for it properly. 

For any custom solutions devs and team need to have TREMENDOUS amount of trust in community. Currently it lacks cause of the drama/downtimes/coders quiting and so on. So imo following PUREST form of blizzlike atm is your best chance to gain trust. Don't try to guess what was the blizzard intentions doing this or that, or set War Effort to A or B because you claim it was never supposed to be easy. Honestly Elysium you shouldn't really have a right to choose things like that if you advertise as blizzlike. Especially when you're not confident it will not blow back into your faces. 

I mean imagine you done War Effort exactly as it was on retail servers... it would be completed fast... so what? People would just say that its normal cause overall community know the content for ages so they prepared before. Blame wouldn't be on you, some would just whine it was too easy but then again you will have whiners for everything always. You instead would get huge +rep for performing top gun war effort and go to opening of AQ with fresh energy. Instead you chose to interpret War Effort event with self-proclaimed understanding of how vanilla should've been and it only hurt you. I'm telling ya don't mess with custom shit unless you're fucking A+ with community and even then make some fucking official voting etc to probe the ideas. I know its all free and you gotta bust your ass to keep it up but vanilla servers are very unstable environment really. Its one thing to have downtimes cause attacks and shit... but lags and downtimes is not enough to kill community (Nostalrius had fucking crazy lags during peak time and barely anyone quit because of lags... food for thought here) but they didn't make careless decisions like you guys do. Sure they made custom shitfix for solo farming DM north which pissed me off (cause I originally leveled up hunter to 60 to have a fun way of making gold) but I'm far from saying Nostalrius were perfect. You guys just should learn on their mistakes... atm you do opposite. 

Edited by Morathe

This has to be one of the dumbest topics ever.

While I do agree that Zeth'kur should just be a part of Elysium server, to say that the pop is bleeding out is simply retarded.

We said it at the start and I will say it again. Hype fags join up. Hype fags leave.

Server stabalises.

Server continues to grow as players attract more players.

Literally the only 2 ways this project will go down is if management decide to pull the plug or if blizzard does some serious damage.

I'm off to enjoy more of the game, cya nerds.

22 minutes ago, Shayss said:

This has to be one of the dumbest topics ever.

While I do agree that Zeth'kur should just be a part of Elysium server, to say that the pop is bleeding out is simply retarded.

We said it at the start and I will say it again. Hype fags join up. Hype fags leave.

Server stabalises.

Server continues to grow as players attract more players.

Literally the only 2 ways this project will go down is if management decide to pull the plug or if blizzard does some serious damage.

I'm off to enjoy more of the game, cya nerds.

congrats on your 1000th post. And I agree! :)

I just want to add in a few points.

While a server may have X amount of a population on anywhere from 100-200 depending on the server are botters or gold farmer/sellers.

Saying you have 2k, 5k, 7.5k online at a time may sound great but how many of those are sitting around IF or SW all day long not doing anything?

When you try all day to make a group for a level 60 dungeon to find in 10 hours you maybe IF lucky find one group because almost everyone else especially tanks and sometimes healers just want to raid that 2 days a week it doesn't speak well. Those who say *roll a tank* my main is actually a raid tank but peeps have alts.

On Darrowshire (my server) we run between 1200-2k players online between off time and peak. Yet half of those players aren't doing anything other then raiding and no interest in alt after alt (like I do). Another 150 online at all times are botters or gold farmers/spammers/sellers. At non peak time you can often find a list of maybe 12-15 level 60 war tanks.

What it comes down to considering all things the populations need to be bigger on the trailing servers (zeth and darrowshire). Elysium will never admit it but they really screwed up hardcore when they brought out Zeth actually thinking the hype would last. The honorable thing for them to do to save the population a bit would be to close down Zeth and offer transfers to Elysium or Darrowshire (yes there are some on the pvp server who hate having to reroll but find themselves unhappy on a pvp server). Of course they won't do this which just adds to more servers dieing because they look at total numbers rather then actually *active* real players.

Your numbers are overexaggerated. Elysium has 4.5k on most of the time and has hardly gone over 5k (5.5 max) all week and zeth'kur bottoms out at 600. if we're going to talk about it, then don't exaggerate shit.

Edited by riplip

1 minute ago, Xylon666Darkstar said:

Who cares, it's free. Play what you like to play, and let everyone else choose where they'd like to play.

WHO CARES.

WoW is shit without a healthy population. This is the nature of all MMOs.